Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ten on Tuesday: Books!



I haven't done a Ten on Tuesday in forever, but this one was perfect!  I've been making a concerted effort to get through my collection of unread, meaning-to-read-that books, and I've made really good progress.  Now that I'm home and I'm no longer mentally exhausted from trying to be super efficient at work, I've been able to reclaim my love of reading.  All of these books I've read since the beginning of the year.  I'm not including books I got partway through and gave up on (there were a few of those).

Last 10 Books I Have Read (starting with most recent)

  1. Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner.  I meant to read this years ago, but I never got around to it, even though I read the Freakonomics blog posts.  Very interesting, definitely recommend it.  
  2. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.  First in a series.  I loved it!  Can't wait to read the rest of the series.  The tone, the main character, and the plotline are all straightforward and enjoyable.  When I finished this, I realized it had been quite a while since I liked the main character of a book!
  3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I was drawn in enough by the plot to finish it.  But I didn't find the characters likable, the violence seemed pointless, and in general, I was disappointed and didn't think it lived up to the hype.  
  4. About a Boy by Nick Hornby.  A fast read with decent character development.  Kind of dated, but I like the 90s.  I like his simple writing style that's more about the story and the people in it than showing how many words he knows.  I'll read more by this author.
  5. The Hollow by Agatha Christie.  I'm a sucker for old-fashioned British murder mysteries.  Kind of a cheesy ending on this one, but I still enjoyed it.  
  6. Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien.  I reread the whole trilogy because I wanted to really lose myself in the world of a book.  Even better the second time through.  I won't tell you how many times I've watched the movies!  
  7. The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien.
  8. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien.
  9. Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard.  A light read, pretty good story.  Kind of a guy book.
  10. The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.  Not that good.  I don't like when an author throws in a tragedy that's unnecessary to the story just to make the book seem more serious.  This should have been a fun, light book and it tried too hard to be a tearjerker.  Ugh.
I also read this post by Michael Eades on his reading.  He is the most voracious reader I've ever heard of.  He said he doesn't know how many books he owns, but estimates between 8 and 10 THOUSAND.  So I counted my books, and I have 240, not including children's books (probably about 150 of those) or the books I brought home from my office that are sitting in the garage right now (maybe 10-15).  So let's say about 400 books in my house.  Yeah, that does sound like a lot, but it could be so much more.  I've worked hard to go through and cull books with every move.  I love having books around, but they just take up too much space and I like keep them on bookshelves, not stacked up everywhere.  And I now have a library in walking distance (or a 4 minute drive)!  Lately, as I've been working my way through my unread books, I've been asking myself, would I read this again?  Sometimes the answer is yes, but usually it's no, so I put it in the box to sell to the used bookstore.  This is a really good, steady way for me to pare down my collection to just what I love or have queued up to read.  My motivation this time of year is to clear some space for new reads from the big once-a-year library book sale that the fates have placed on my birthday.  Just a little more than a month away - better read fast and make some room!  I can't wait.  

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

thanks for sharing your list and opinions. about a boy sounds interesting - i think i will check it out.

knittingtheblues said...

Whoa. I never thought about counting the books in my house! We try really hard to not become attached to the things of books. And yet, I'm sure we have thousands. Kindles and audible are decreasing the hard copies we add to the house, but not entirely. I love books, I'm glad we had them everywhere so that my kids learned to love books, but now I look at them and with a house sale and move on the horizon all I can think about is having to move them. Most of them will not be coming along. Sad, but true.

Beverly said...

Every few years I re-read The Hobbit and TLoTR. So beautiful. So fun.