Sunday, February 2, 2014

Rip and re-knit


We've had lots of pretty snow over the last few days.  This is the view from our balcony.  It's very cozy at our house, which means I've been drinking way too much coffee!


I started a little sweater for Alek, but I made a mistake and need to rip most of it back and re-knit it.  A little frustrating, but it's a fun knit with very soft yarn, so I don't mind.  This picture is pre-rip.

My official last day of work was Friday, even though I didn't go in.  I did my farewell lunch and outprocessing/exit interview on Thursday.  But at midnight on Friday I turned into a pumpkin, which in the corporate world means I lost access to my work email.  I've been ready for this for a while, but the goodbyes and the last visit to my office did feel a little bittersweet.  I guess I feel disappointed that I didn't really accomplish anything in my almost nine years at my job.  I did a lot of work, and I tried to make it good work and to learn new skills and jump into any domain and project where I was needed.  But really, after all that, I'm not leaving anything for anyone.  There's no project where anyone will build on what I did.  It all just disappears into the void of government contracting.  I can take with me the skills I learned and try to apply them in a broad sense to what I do in the future.  But for now, I just have boxes of books and papers that aren't of much use to me or to anyone.

This is all probably a good sign that it's time to move on.  I don't want to waste any more of my time, energy, and talents on work that generates income but nothing of value.  I want to do something that matters.  My plans for the next year are to go into business for myself, but I can't give any details on here just yet.  Soon I'll be able to say more.  For now I'm laying groundwork and playing the waiting game.  I guess, like that little sweater, my life needs a rip and re-knit right now.  The ripping back is a little painful, but the knitting is still fun the second time around.  (Please forgive the very cheesy knitting metaphor, I can't help myself.)

No comments: