Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Five-minute paleo apple pie


What do you do when you want apple pie and you have five minutes and you don't want to destroy yourself with crap food?
  1. slice up half an apple and put it in a glass bowl
  2. cut up a small pat of butter into small pieces and put them on top of the apple slices
  3. sprinkle with a small spoonful of coconut flour, a tiny pinch of salt, a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and a drizzle of honey
  4. cover with a napkin and put in the microwave for about 2 minutes
  5. eat it very quickly before your toddler wakes up and demands to TASTE THAT MOMMY ALEK TAKE IT WANT THAT HAVE THAT MOMMY
  6. if necessary, repeat steps 1-5 with the other half of the apple
Okay, it's not pie, but if you do like I said in Step 5 and eat it quickly, you might not notice.  

I had to reassess my Olympic knitting goal.  The upshot is that I simply do not have the mental wherewithal for the degree of difficulty I was attempting.  I was swearing and ripping out stitches and I needed something different.  I still wanted to do lace, but Estonian lace with all its nupps seemed beyond me.  But I actually found a pattern for an Estonian lace shawl/scarf thing that does not have nupps!  As a bonus, it's a point-up triangle, which means that it starts as a very small cast on and grows gradually.  That means counting errors are not so catastrophic, at least at the beginning, so I have time to get used to the pattern and don't have to rip it out ten times.  So I started that.  I've memorized the lace pattern now, and it's a more challenging project than my usual fare, but not so hard that it makes me want to cry.  That is good, because there is so much else in my day that makes me want to cry, I can't have my hobbies pushing me over the edge.

Here it is.


No comments: