Friday, January 17, 2014

Coming back?


Am I coming back to the blog?  Not sure.  But after taking a long break, I kind of miss it, so I'll start with one post and see how I feel.

I stopped blogging because I felt stretched so thin.  I was trying to manage a full-time job with not-nearly full-time childcare, plus a move, a flood, and a baby who suddenly turned into a two-year-old person with energy, opinions, and emotions that are bigger than those of any full-grown person I've ever met.  It was a lot all at once, and I was exhausted.

Over the holidays I learned that I'm being laid off, and my babysitter quit.  So overnight, I turned into a stay-at-home mom.  It was a sudden transition, and my days are full and not without stress, but without the office job, I finally have a little breathing room, and thinking room.  Life has slowed down, and that is so good.  The blog seems like a welcome friend rather than a burden.

I have some time to knit and read, and I think it's time to add some writing as well.  Above are some new purple socks I'm working on, along with my favorite crabby coffee mug.  Just finished a fuzzy garter triangle scarf and a whole pile of charity hats.  I have a red shawl/poncho thing on the needles that's almost done.  And I've read some good serious stuff lately, Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kahneman and Antifragile by Taleb, and an oldie - Broca's Brain by Sagan.  Just so, you know, I'll know the state of  the art in astronomy as of 1978.  Also some fluffy stuff I won't even mention here, just to keep it going and clear the palate.  I've been thinking of plans for what's next for me, but also just settling in and enjoying the time at home with my little one.  Training has been mostly absent.  I did just buy a couple of competition kettlebells so I can work out at home, and every so often I get in to the weight room to lift.  Just not feeling too driven to train at the moment, and that's okay.

If you read before, welcome back.  If you're new, welcome.

1 comment:

Bluescaptain Joe said...

Woo! I'm excited for this Amyblog 2.0.

Let's write a book together! I'm thinking, "I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful: Real life lessons from Bob Wiley."