Monday, January 28, 2013

Another catch-up

Let's just pretend I didn't go about a month without posting.  Also, let's pretend I didn't decide on a new format just to realize that I hated it and didn't want to follow it at all.  I sort of have an excuse - I spent the last week away at Steamboat Sprints, where I miraculously remembered how to snowboard and also got some much-needed time off work and time with the hubby while my parents watched the kiddo.  I had no to do list on vacation aside from making tasty food.  I have a new banana bread cookie recipe that has no grains and very little added sugar (with the option of no added sugar).  I'll post that soon.  And my new favorite go-to dinner is now pan-fried burgers with caramelized onions.  The onions are so rich, they elevate the whole meal and make you feel fancy.

I have been reading and knitting a lot.  I finished Fat Chance by Robert Lustig - interesting read and very informative on the biochemistry of obesity.  Now I'm reading Custom Nation by Anthony Flynn.  And I started a John Irving book on vacation but haven't made it very far through it yet.

We had our January meeting of community knitting, and the pattern was a simple stripey mistake-rib hat to use up leftovers.  I made the one on the right for CK, then I made the one on the left for myself: 

Unfortunately mine is kind of itchy.  I don't know how many wool hats I have to make for myself before I concede that wool makes my face itchy.  It's a very hard thing for a knitter to admit, but I might just be happier with decent-quality acrylic.  But I'd love to make lots of these hats.  They're so stretchy and cute. 

On the car ride home from Steamboat I made a small toddler sock:  

These things go fast!  It has all the interest of a regular sock without the long boring parts.  I might be using up all my leftover sock yarn for tiny socks.  But first I'll try this pair on the kiddo and see if he tolerates them.

If I have the time/patience, I'll write out the pattern, but sock patterns are kind of a pain to write.  It's really just a standard top-down, flap-heel adult sock (see a good step-by-step example in Knitting Rules by Stephanie Pearl McPhee) but with the numbers changed:
  • Cast on 40 stitches
  • Divide into 20/20 for flap heel
  • 18 rows of heel flap
  • To start turning the heel: Sl1, K11, SSK, K1, turn; then Sl1, K5, K2togAfter turning the heel, pick up 9 stitches on each side and do the instep decreases back down to 40 stitches total
  • Toe decreases the normal way, decrease every row when you have 6-12-6 stitches
  • Graft when you have 4-8-4 stitches.
Training is going well.  I'm within a few pounds of my pre-baby maxes on just about everything and I seem to be recovering reasonably well on metcons.  Today I did a 1 rep max front squat and got 125#.  I was only at 115# back in October.  I love my Saturday lifting.  This week I worked on power snatch and rack jerk, and two Saturdays ago I worked on snatch balances and pulls from the floor. There's so much more to Oly lifting than just the two Oly lifts.  I'm also trying to do a little bit of kettlebell work before class.  I used to rock at kettlebells, but I'm out of practice.  There's a great kettlebell workshop coming up in February and Mike's planning to attend - wish so much that I could go too!  Just in case it somehow works out, I want to be prepared.  But I won't count on it.  Either way, it will be good to get the movements back and the weights up. 

No comments: