Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lots of hats


I've been knitting lots of hats.  At the last community knitting meeting, we got a simple cable pattern.  After figuring out how to cable without a cable needle, I was able to knit the red one really fast, and then I decided to make a second (the blue one).  Then I figured, what the heck, it's a good chance to use up some of my stash of acrylic, so I just kept making them, and I ended up with five!  They will go to kids in need at a local sliding-scale day care.  Hope the kiddos like them!


Every year at the office we sponsor 2 or 3 families from the area and people donate/shop to help them have a nice holiday.  So I got an idea.  I like knitting hats so much, why not make some for our families?  As a side benefit it helps me with my goal of knitting down the stash.  This year we have 3 families, with a total of 10 kids and 4 adults.  Even if I focus on just the kids, that's a lot of hats.  So I needed a pattern that was quick, warm, and simple.  So I made one up!  Here it is.  Enjoy, knit one for yourself or a loved one, and then knit another for someone in need.


Fast Hat

Size: child (adult)

Materials:
worsted weight yarn, use doubled
size 10 circular needle, 16"
set of size 9 or 10 double point needles

Holding two strands of yarn, cast on 56 (64) stitches.  Join to knit in the round, placing marker at beginning of round.  Use two strands of yarn throughout.

K2 P2 ribbing for 2 (3) inches.

Knit around for 4 inches.

Set-up row: *Knit 14 (16) stitches, put marker, repeat from * to end of round.  There will be four sections, divided by markers.

Decreases (switch to double points when needed):
*K2tog, knit to 2 before marker, SSK, Repeat from * to end of round. 
Repeat this round until you have 16 stitches on the needle.
*K2tog, SSK, Repeat from * to end of round.
Now there are 8 stitches on the needles.

Cut yarn and draw through remaining stitches.  Sew in ends.

You can get a more square, less gathered top by adding in a plain round of knitting in between the decrease rows, until you have 32 stitches on the needles.  You could also scale this pattern up or down to get a bigger adult hat or a baby hat.  Just add/subtract multiples of 8 on the cast on and multiples of 2 on the set-up row.  

No comments: