Thursday, August 23, 2012

Alpaca lace

I've been working on this arrowhead lace scarf in a local-ish (Rocky Mountain) alpaca that I pick up a couple of years ago at the Estes Park Wool Market.  It's just a little bit of yarn, and it's a weird weight (in between lace and fingering) so I was looking for just the right project.  Too skinny for a hat or socks.  Not really enough for a scarf, but with lace I'll get the most out of my yardage and it will hopefully just be a little bit short.  Here's a close-up: 
It's a nice undyed chocolatey brown with little flecks of light gray.  I like to picture the alpaca who contributed his fiber as I knit with it. 

I thought this article about makers/crafters was interesting:
What's a Crafter?  from Mad in Crafts

And this video is hilarious.  It is not an exaggeration, it is exactly what Boulder is, from grinding your own beans to the garage full of bikes.  
Ad promoting Boulder to run internationally during USA Pro Cycling Challenge

No comments: