Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pink knitting and kettlebells


More knitting - halfway through a pink bootie for a friend of the family's new little girl.  I've been knitting on a blanket for weeks now, so some tiny portable knitting is a nice break.  Especially for deck knitting in the sunshine, which I did yesterday. 

Sunday was open gym, so I did my own programming - TGUs, then push-ups, pull-ups, and squats to stretch out my knee, followed by a 10-minute kettlebell snatch test.  I got 170 reps with the 12#, nowhere near the 230 I once got, but I'm out of practice.  I'm crazy sore now - kettlebells will get you that way.  I'm adding in Sunday morning open gym to my routine, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to focus on kettlebells since we don't do them much in classes, other than swings.  Perhaps next week will be a 10-minute clean and jerk test. 

It's been interesting to continue to watch my body recover from pregnancy changes.  I'm getting stronger but my mobility comes and goes.  My upper body is getting bigger, especially my lats and traps.  That plus milk storage up front means my shirts are getting pretty tight.  I probably need to do another closet cleanout and a little replacement shopping.  I'm leaning out a bit in my lower body.  All in all, I feel good, just need to get the knee better and address mobility in my knee and the opposite hip which is a little tweaked compensating for the bad knee.  I would definitely say that CrossFit with a focus on strength and skill (with limited metcons) is a good prescription for getting your body back after having a baby.  Today I get back to climbing - looking forward to it! 

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

More knitting - halfway through a pink bootie for a friend of the family's new little girl. I've been knitting on a blanket for weeks now, so some tiny portable knitting is a nice break. Especially for deck knitting in the sunshine. become a kettlebell instructor