Thursday, December 29, 2011

I can't walk up the stairs

Well, 2 days of (fairly) heavy squats and the stairs are pretty difficult for me.  Here's what I've been up to:

Tuesday was:

1 rep max of back squat and strict press

I was fairly conservative and got up to 105# and 65#.  I did try 115 but didn't get full depth.  I feel like my body's cues are not the same as before pregnancy (stretched out ligaments?) and I need to relearn body position.  I could have done more on the press I think.  Next time!

Wednesday I came in for strength class and we did:

6-6-6-6-6 good morning into low bar back squat


55-60-65-70-75#


then

6x3 narrow-grip dead-hang chin-ups

I used 2 bands. 

They also did push-ups, but I'm still not allowed to do those so I snuck out early.  My abs are healing and I should have my restrictions lifted in a few more weeks.  I'm not ever supposed to do sit-ups again though, because that risks reopening the diastisis (the separation of the muscles).  Fine by me, I think situps are pretty useless.  I'd rather get up the right way - TGUs!  And I'm a fan of strengthening the core with coordinated whole-body movements, like the Olympic lifts or overhead squats or toes to bar, rather than isolation movements like crunches or sit-ups.  I always found it odd that CrossFit includes sit-ups in workouts - kind of like including bicep curls.

It has been a lot of work and some discomfort to heal this separation, but it's worth it - my stomach looks much flatter and my core is getting stronger.  I highly recommend Abby, the therapist who's been helping me.  You can find her at Pea in the Pod Fitness

No comments: