Monday, November 28, 2011

A Primal Thanksgiving

I went in for an atonement workout the day after Thanksgiving, and it was Murph.  Murph is a hero WOD, and it's a long one:

Run 1 mile
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 squats
Run 1 mile

The work in the middle can be broken up however you like so I did 20 rounds of 5-10-15.  I substituted dumbbell press for the push-ups because of my ab separation restrictions, and I used one band for the pull-ups.  It took me 60 minutes to do the whole thing, and even though the squats hurt pretty bad, the worst part of it by far was the run.  I haven't run in almost a year, and the first mile wasn't too awful, but I ended up having to walk some of the second mile.  I am so not a runner.  Anyway, just glad I finished! 


What did I have to atone for?  Well, it was an almost Paleo Thanksgiving.  100 percent grain free.  But there was dessert: Flourless Chocolate Cake

Basically just chocolate, butter, eggs, and sugar.  I cut out most of the sugar, but there was plenty more sugar in the chocolate.  I'm not a big fan of Paleo-prefixed desserts because they tend to be very heavy in nuts and sweeteners and not really in the spirit of Paleo at all.  So I just went for a regular dessert that happens to not contain any grains.  It was pretty easy and very successful - tasted rich and decadent like restaurant flourless cake.  The rest of dinner was quite primal - turkey legs basted with bacon fat, gravy from the drippings and arrowroot powder, baked sweet potatoes mashed with heavy cream, green beans, and a big salad.  Nope, I didn't miss the stuffing, rolls, corn, or pie.  I think my favorite part (other than that super indulgent cake) was the crispy skin on the turkey, which rendered with the bacon fat.  People who won't try going Paleo focus on the things they'll miss, and they forget that you pretty much eat like a king.  All that fat and protein is very satisfying and doesn't leave you feeling bloated and tired like the usual carb fest does.  And skipping the wheat means you're saying "no thanks" to a whole host of health problems, from arthritis to heart disease.  This was my easiest Thanksgiving dinner to cook too.  The leftovers were great - lots of meat and I made turkey soup from the bones. 

Enough going on about food - I'll end with some links:


No comments: