Friday, July 15, 2011

Q and A

I've always wanted to do a Q&A on the blog, and I got a great question, so here I go!

Disclaimer so no one sues me: I am not a medical professional. I have researched this issue on my own. My response is based on what I have observed and read and thought about, and it is my opinion.

Ashley S. wrote:
Can you tell me how much fruit you ate during pregnancy? Right now I'm hoarking down fruit left and right just to maintain my weight to hopefully get pregnant. I went too far for my body apparently and stopped cycling. However, when I finally get pregnant, I'm afraid of eating too much fruit. It's still sugar I know, but if I can't keep weight on not eating fruit I don't see much alternative since the baby will need a lot of sustenance in the second and third trimesters. Right now I eat some raspberries with my breakfast, a peach after lunch, and usually some berries or cantaloupe after dinner...sometimes peach coconut milk ice cream with a tablespoon of raw honey. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Hi Ashley,

My fruit consumption has been up and down. More in the first trimester because it helped with the nausea, but now that it's summer and fruits are in season, I'm indulging again. It doesn't look to me like you're eating all that much fruit - you're sticking to berries and melon and other relatively low-fructose options rather than, say, eating 5 bananas a day or something. I think your fruit consumption sounds totally in the realm of normal.

But as to your concern:

If your cycle stopped, that's kind of a big thing. I don't think that I would attribute it to fruit consumption. There is probably something else going on there. I'd look at lifestyle factors - are you overtraining (especially chronic cardio), are you getting enough sleep, how are your stress levels? Do you have any history of autoimmune disease? I'd also look at the gluten strictness - are you getting any accidental gluten contamination or having some gluten-containing cheats? Are grains or legumes sneaking in on a more than occasional basis? And a biggie - are you getting enough fat? I'd try to get lots of saturated fat into the diet through coconut products and butter, and personally, I eat a lot of bacon and eggs and some dark chocolate too. I can't stomach organ meats like liver, but if you can, that's a great option and also gets your Vitamin A levels up, which is helpful for fertility.

To get/keep your weight up, you might want to consider adding in some starch to the "standard" Paleo diet, especially if you're pretty active. Sweet potatoes are great, other roots, various kinds of winter squash, and I even do some white potatoes (no skin) sometimes.

Above all, keep the big picture in mind. Don't be too hard on yourself for the small things. Make sure you're eating and living in a way that you feel good about, that gives you energy rather than drains it out of you.

Hope this is helpful. I suggest you check out Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code (see this link on Robb Wolf's site) - he has done a ton of research on this issue and has some great information.

Thanks for the great question! I wish you the best!

3 comments:

Ashley Smith said...

Thanks for your in depth answer! As for the weightloss, I lost it before I started bumping up the fruit. I'm just using fruit right now to maintain it, so my body doesn't burn my fat stores. I have started increasing my saturated fat as I think that may have been a problem with me losing (it was great while I wanted to lose weight but now I know I need the bodyfat). I've also started taking cod liver oil for the vitamin A, so I'm hoping that will help. I think I will start adding in some sweet potatoes, so I don't have to rely so much on fruit when the winter comes, and it's not as yummy. :) Thanks again!

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Blogger said...

Having Trouble STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

Want to munch on some tasty recipes TONIGHT?

Check out: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.