Thursday, June 9, 2011

Updates and rambling

Summer reading update

So the reading plan has been going pretty well so far. I just make sure I find at least 20 minutes each day to sit down and read, and I'm getting through my two current books. The hardest part is not picking up another one. Really short attention span! But when I force myself not to be a dilettante, I can actually get into a book (and get more out of it).

On Writing by Stephen King has been a treasure trove, really. I love the insights into how he writes in general and his decisions and inspirations for specific books. His advice makes a lot of sense and is given with a good dose of humor. And plenty of dark stuff too, of course. I've always loved his writing style, and it's fun to get a behind-the-scenes view. Despite his popularity, I think he is an incredibly underrated talent. I'm not sure if I'll ever write fiction, but he makes me feel like maybe I could.

The American Idol "expose" book is about what I expected - too long. The first couple chapters were entertaining, but now it's rambling on. Still some good nuggets in there, but they are getting sparser. I'll try to zip through the rest of it, shouldn't take long.

Other updates/rambling

I'm making some decent progress on things at work, and for the first time in a while, the house has managed not to become a disaster throughout the week. Workouts have been so-so. Just trying to keep active and keep up my strength to some extent. Climbing has been good for that, and there's plenty to do in the weight room with modifications. The hardest part is the lack of motivation. I'm in my third trimester now, so I'm lowering my expectations a bit, but it makes me sad that something I used to look forward to so much has become a force of habit, even a chore.

Lots of people want to tell you how to feel during pregnancy. "You should feel beautiful!" "You should enjoy taking it easy!" "You should want to document every moment!" Nope. I hate how I look, how I feel, how I'm stupider and more emotional and incapable of things that used to be a part of my normal life. I don't like the extra attention. And yet I feel alone much of the time. I don't know what to do except just continue to try to get through one day at a time. I'm hoping that my little vacation will help me to reset mentally and emotionally. I know in three months my life will be completely different, and there's only so much I can do to prepare for that. But I really want to get these doldrums under control.

Anyway, enough self-pity. I'm starting my blogcation now, so I'll be back in a week. Have a good one, and here are some links to entertain you in the meantime.

Links

No comments: