Monday, June 27, 2011

Knitting update

I got some knitting done this weekend.

First, I finished the retro redux shrug (from Lace Style). I'm wearing it today! I just used some wool-ease I had sitting in the stash. This one is fine, but I'd like to make another one with nicer yarn. It's a little more substantial than most sewn-together-rectangle shrugs - the wide ribbing from the short rows at the neck helps it stay in place and gives it a more finished look, and the sleeves are a good length too. The back has a nice drapey look, and I think this would work well in a bamboo blend or something similar.

I also did some bootie knitting. I've made these for a lot of people as gifts, so I figured my kid should get at least two pairs. I may even make more. They're kind of addictive.

Finally, I started the obligatory Baby Surprise Jacket (Ravelry link). It's from some beautiful worsted weight superwash yarn from Brooks Farm that I bought at the Estes Park Wool Market three years ago. It's impossible to capture the real colors on camera. They look different in every light, from brown to navy to dusty purple. Mike is worried this will look too "knitterly" (homemade/crafty/lame), but I told him I have no choice - as a knitter I HAVE to make this classic pattern, and I have to tell you, it's a really fun knit. Here it is in its early stages:

No comments: