Thursday, May 12, 2011

A tiny hat two ways, a spring scarf, and a list

Tiny hat

Yesterday I knitted a quick baby hat for a coworker whose wife is due two months before me. The cool thing is, it can be worn two ways!

With a stylish knot at the top:

Untied for some festive sproingy-doodles:

In the second photo I also folded the brim up to show that it is customizable to different-height baby heads. The yarn was something from a local store, a bright emerald semisolid superwash wool. Perfect project for using up a little bit of leftover yarn. I also have some of the same stuff in blue (and a stripe's worth of the green left over), which I'll use for a similar hat for my little guy.

Spring scarf

I also finished my spring scarf:

You might say that scarf season is kind of past, but it's been snowing for two days at my house, so I actually wore this today. Berroco Comfort, very soft. The stitch pattern is:

Cast on a multiple of 2 stitches
Row 1: purl across
Row 2: knit across
Row 3: k2, *sl1, k1, repeat from * to end
Row 4: *k1, sl1 with yarn in front, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, k2
Row 5: k1, *YO, k2 together, repeat from * to last stitch, k1
Row 6: purl across

You just cast on, repeat the stitch pattern till you're almost out of yarn, and bind off. I did an all knit bind off after row 1.

More details: I used US 10.5 needles and about 4 oz of worsted weight yarn and cast on 24 stitches. My scarf is about 60" long and 4.5-5" wide. My knitting gauge is very loose.

Wow, you got a recipe yesterday and a pattern today. I guess I'm feeling generous.

Happy list

I'll end with 10 things that are making me happy today:
  1. My baby shower at work is now going to be a joint venture with above-mentioned coworker, and we are requesting an anti-shower instead, with grilled meat instead of cake and no baby talk or games or fuss or opening of presents. (I am SO not girly. Is it any wonder most of my friends over the years have been guys?)
  2. My little guy now kicks me in the ribs to let me know he's hungry. I ate a "snack" (meal) and he's all settled down now. Communication is good.
  3. Speaking of food, the freezer is now full of meat, and the pantry is full of canned tomatoes and coconut milk.
  4. Still speaking of food, I'm going out to lunch today! Gluten free Chinese food, skip the rice. Yum.
  5. I got a new idea for a fun writing project and have started already.
  6. Someone who I expected to be rude to me yesterday was pleasant instead.
  7. Jane Brocket put up the archives to her old blog, yarnstorm. I'm reading through all the years-old posts and they are so beautiful and inspiring. She is one of my favorite bloggers (and writers and photographers). The next time I get an Amazon or B&N gift certificate, I'm just going to buy all of her books (including a new children's book!).
  8. Mike was feeling sick the last couple days but seems to be doing better today. I actually got enough sleep last night. And Dirk only had one wet sneeze this morning instead of his usual pitiful bunny coughing fit. So we're all feeling better. (Greta is never sick.)
  9. I have a kick-ass workout planned for this afternoon.
  10. I got to make a list today. Making lists makes me happy.

2 comments:

Philip said...

That baby hat would look real good in Cleveland Browns colors. :)

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!