Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lemonade (or chicken salad)

When life gives you lemons (snow in late May):

make lemonade (or chicken salad):

No-mayo curry chicken salad

6 oz cubed cooked chicken breast
a few baby carrots, minced
1-2 tbsp minced sweet peppers
1 green onion, chopped fine
1/2 a small apple, cubed
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp curry powder
drizzle of agave or honey
1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
salt to taste (don't skimp on it)

Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir until well mixed.
Not as good as a mayo-based chicken salad, but store mayo contains industrial seed oils (canola, soybean, etc.) and I didn't feel comfortable making my own because of the raw egg. This was a pretty good substitute, just make sure you use enough salt! If anyone has found a Paleo-friendly store mayo, let me know because this recipe would be even better if you replaced the olive oil and cream with mayo! Also, I really wanted to use either grapes or raisins for a strong sweet flavor to counter the curry, but I only had apples on hand.

Workout

Yesterday's workout was a good one for a tired and awkward pregnant lady:

walking lunges and crossover step-ups (my balance is GONE)
good mornings, back squats, and OHS with the bar

3x3 press 45#
3x3 push press 55#
3x3 push jerk 65#

kettlebell clean and jerks - technique
mini kettlebell workout :
5 cleans each side
clean then 5 jerks each side
5 full-cycle clean and jerks each side

We ran out of time to do more, but this would be a good workout with more rounds, or more reps per round. Maybe increasing weight each round. Light kettlebell stuff still feels very comfortable for me as I get a little bigger and more awkward, and it's easy to tune to the point where I break a sweat but don't feel like crap. We've done TGUs in strength class last week and this week, and I think that ALL fit pregnant women should do them. Holy pelvic floor, Batman.

Knitting


The knitting is done on the baby kimono, just needs to be blocked and seamed. (The pen is for scale, to show this is a little sweater!) I don't want to guild the lily, but I might be tempted to put a bright color edging on this to fancy it up a little.

No comments: