Thursday, April 21, 2011

To rest or not to rest?

My poor neglected office plants finally get some love.

Yesterday I planned to do the fifth Open Sectionals WOD with my two CF buddies at the climbing gym. But all day I was just dragging. I got more and more tired, and by lunch I was seriously questioning whether I should work out at all, let alone do a metcon. I got even sleepier as the afternoon wore on, and finally I decided to bail. I went to the grocery store instead, finished up my shopping quickly, and then went to watch Mike work out.

Pre-pregnancy, this would have been a no-brainer. I would have gone. It wouldn't matter that I was tired. There's always an excuse, and if you always fall back on the most available excuse, you never make any progress, or even stick with anything. But pregnancy is different. I'm really trying to listen to my body, and the fatigue is no joke. It's not just a little sleepiness, it's an overwhelming, whole-body, whole-mind kind of fatigue. When it hits, I get pretty frustrated, since I'm a high-energy, disciplined person who does not like to have her productivity and plans interfered with!

But as cliche as it sounds, my body is doing a ton of work right now. The baby is growing really fast (I'm noticeably bigger than I was a week ago), it's moving around, and my resources are being directed there. I am trying to accept this pregnancy thing and not fight so hard to be superhuman. So I took my extreme tiredness as an valid signal, not an annoyance, and took it easy, and for once laid off the guilt as well. Now today I feel great, lots more energy, and I'm looking forward to strength class at noon and climbing a route or two afterward. I even feel more mentally focused at work.

Lesson learned. I'll rest when I need to, and I won't feel bad about it! Because soon enough I'll be itching to do something again.

Links

1 comment:

Jane said...

I'm glad you're feeling more energetic today, Amy. Keep listening to your body - and enjoy the weeks ahead. It's not all fun and games, but it is pretty amazing to grow a person!