Thursday, April 7, 2011

Open Sectionals WOD #3 and thoughts on scaling for pregnancy

Well, I did the Open Sectionals WOD#3 (or a version of it).

AMRAP in 5:00 of:

Squat clean and jerk 165/110#

I started with 75#, which I thought might be too light, but after four clean and jerks, I was feeling some strain in my core that just didn't feel right, so I pulled off 10# and did the rest of the workout with only 65#. I ended up with 14 clean and jerks, for a score of 28. I think I probably could have done 75# if I was only doing power cleans, but the squats just required so much more stability, which isn't as easy now that my belly is getting a little bigger. The jerks were fine, but any more than 75# on those would not have been a good idea (core issues again). Anyway, I was able to keep a pretty steady pace, and I'm glad I did it. Now when I watch everyone on Saturday I'll have some idea of what they're going through. It's definitely a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.

Scaling for pregnancy

It can be a tough call on exactly how and how much to scale a workout when you're pregnant. It's quite different than scaling for different reasons, fitness or strength or ability or even injury. I mean, I've always had to scale somewhat, whether it was to make sure I was getting the spirit of the workout or to just be able to do it. CrossFit's Rx'd workouts are for more athletic people than me, and so scaling is probably always going to be something I need to do. But scaling for pregnancy is different. It's critical.

You might think, oh, I can just push it with a little more weight, but what if you strain or tear a muscle or a ligament that you need to support your growing belly? What if you go too hard and it affects the fetus in a negative way? These fears are running through your mind all the time. If you are a CrossFitter, undoubtedly you want to push yourself, but you can't push yourself to the point where you risk "breaking" anything.

I think that figuring how and how much to scale is a discovery process and can be a tough journey. I know what my limits are, and I think most women do. As a pregnant woman, you get a ton of advice (and judgment) from others on what you should and shouldn't do exercise-wise, but only you know what you can handle. The difficult part is figuring out how close to get to those limits, and being okay emotionally with the judgment calls you make. I have found that since I'm listening to my body during the workout, it's not that hard to make the call to back things off (or push a little more), but afterward I can be quite tough on myself for the call I made. In either direction - I went too hard or I went too easy.

I guess the important thing is to trust in your own judgment and try not to second guess yourself too much. We live in a society where pregnant women are treated like patients who are sick, not like the strong, healthy, normal, active people we actually are. No, a woman cannot be training like a competitive athlete during pregnancy, but she also doesn't need to act like a delicate flower.

Cutting out wheat alone aids weight loss

Today I read a nice short and to-the-point post from the Heart Scan Blog. From the post:
When wheat products are removed from the diet--without calorie restriction, without counting fat or carbohydrate grams, no exercise program, no cleansing regimen, no skipping meals . . . nothing--calorie intake drops 350 to 400 calories per day. This calorie figure remains curiously consistent across multiple studies in which wheat was eliminated.
He went on to explain that this calorie intake reduction was associated with a weight loss of 21-26 pounds over 6 months. Now, weight loss is not the only reason to eliminate wheat from the diet. But it's an awfully compelling one.

Links

1 comment:

Jane said...

I bet your baby will be well organized - please post pictures. He/she might not be so organized at Grandma's house :)