Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

I haven't done a Ten on Tuesday in a while, but this one was pretty easy.

Ten on Tuesday

10 Favorite Oscar Winning Films
  1. Gone with the Wind
  2. The Godfather
  3. The Sting
  4. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
  5. Rocky
  6. Amadeus
  7. Rain Man
  8. Dances with Wolves
  9. The Silence of the Lambs
  10. LOTR: Return of the King
Kind of an eclectic mix, I guess. The Sting was just fun. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of the most moving and disturbing films I've ever seen. Rain Man is sweet and touching, as is Rocky. Amadeus introduced me to Mozart's Requiem, one of the most amazing pieces of music ever written. Gone with the Wind is just so classic and melodramatic and over the top. The Godfather is iconic and creates its own world that just sucks you in. The Silence of the Lambs is just classic creepy horror, it even tops Psycho for that. Dances with Wolves connects to the history of the American West in such a powerful way. And LOTR is great storytelling - I love the whole trilogy and will watch it over and over again.

It occurred to me that I saw most of the ones from the 90s and a fair number from the 70s and 80s, but almost nothing from recent years. I just don't go see movies much anymore! I especially avoid serious films that I think will make me sad. Not sure why. Probably the same reason I don't watch the news. Life is hard enough without seeking out more sad stories.

What are your favorites? Feel free to chime in!

No comments: