Monday, February 7, 2011

Lifting update

Okay, so a friend (and KnitFit reader) called me out and asked why was I feeling gun-shy about posting about workouts. I gave her a whole bunch of reasons, and then I realized they were kind of BS. I can't really write about the classes I'm taking because the workouts are so complicated and contain so many exercises, I can't remember it all by the time I get back to write it down. Or maybe I could, but it would take my attention and focus away from just enjoying the workout and being in the moment.

But lifting is a different story. After about 6 weeks of not doing any lifting outside of classes (meaning no going heavy or skill work), I'm finally getting back into it. I lifted Thursday night on my own in the weight room at the climbing gym, and it went really well. They have a nice bar and bumpers and a rack, everything I need. I made up my own lifting workout, worked through it at my own pace (i.e., not rushed) and felt great after. I went back again today.

Interval training is great, but I can't and don't want to do it all the time. I really do love going heavy and focusing on form and skills without the pressure of the clock. One of my favorite things about the programming at FCF was how we broke up the go-all-out clock-based stuff with taking our time to build strength and learn skills. Now I guess I have to do that part on my own, but I at least have some foundation for it.

It's been hard to post anything at all about my training because the whole situation just makes me so sad. I miss what I had - the community, the programming, the coaching, a place where I belonged. As much as I'm trying to fill the void, I'm kind of lost right now. But now that I've started lifting again, I'm feeling a bit of hope, more of a sense of control. So I'll start posting again about the lifting workouts I do. Here is Thursday night's workout and what I came up with for today.

Thursday's Workout:

Back squat 5-5-3-3-1-1-1
95-105-115-120-125-130-135#

OHS 3-3-3-3-3
45-55-65-70-75#

Snatch balance 45#
Hang power snatch 45-55#
Power snatch 65#

Power cleans 65-85#

Didn't do a lot of reps on the Oly lifts, just getting settled back into doing them, plus I lifted heavy at the beginning of the workout. Everything felt good, especially the overhead squats. I plan to do a lot of overhead squats, I just think they are the perfect exercise. I'll have to write my treatise on overhead squats one of these days.

Today's Workout:

20 push-ups

Deadlift 5-5-3-3-1-1-1
115-135-145-155-165-175-185#

20 pull-ups

Jerk (off the rack) 3-3-3-3-3
55-65-75-80-85#

20 TTB

I wanted to mix in some skill work with the lifting, so I went with the untimed push-ups, pull-ups, and toes-to-bar so that I could slow down and make the form good. Not practicing kipping pull-ups for more than 6 weeks and then trying to do them on a sandpaper grip wasn't pretty. I managed sets of five, not my best but I'm still in the game. Deadlifts felt pretty good, jerks were snappy. TTB were painful in a good way.

I'll probably lift on my own again Thursday evening. I once heard a friend tell her kids that they needed to have some independent time. I guess that's what I'm doing, having some independent time. I relied on having a community for so long. It is a whole new test of strength to try to do this on my own.

No comments: