Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Testimonial

I like to keep tabs on what other CrossFit gyms in the area are doing, so I subscribe to several of the area CF blogs (MBS, Front Range, Roots). The main reason I do this is because I think CrossFit is a larger community that goes beyond just your individual gym. We see a lot of the same people at local and regional CF events, and it's nice to have that continuity and sense of belonging. Every place has a little different approach and atmosphere, but we have more in common than not. While I feel closest to the athletes I work out with every day, I have a great deal of respect for the wider family of CrossFitters.

One gym I didn't know much about yet is CrossFit Julia, so I went to their website the other day. I saw they had a testimonials page, and I love to read stuff like that. For their testimonials, they asked people a list of questions. It got me thinking, how would I answer those questions? So here it is, my CrossFit testimonial:
  1. What have you gained since joining? This is an easy one to answer because I've gained so much. I've gained strength, a wide array of new skills, hugely improved fitness and health, a completely new body. I've gained my first competitive sport, Oly lifting, which I love. I've gained a community, with dozens of great new friends and a handful of really special ones. I've gained a new outlook on life, and a new sense of confidence and power.
  2. What were some of your fears before joining? Mostly I was afraid that CrossFit was too extreme. I thought moderation was my thing. Turns out, I like extreme a lot better than moderation.
  3. What is your favorite thing? It's hard to pick one thing. I think my favorite thing is the way that training gives me a sense of purpose, fills a void in my life.
  4. What keeps you committed? I don't really know! I just know that walking away is not an option. There is a drive and an honesty that CrossFit gives me. I feel like it's the one thing in my life that reflects back to me my true self, the best and the worst of who I am.
  5. What makes the experience special to you? The people around me inspire me and make me feel like I'm part of something important. It feeds into that sense of purpose. CrossFit shows me the tremendous things that people are capable of and pushes me to discover my limits as a person.
  6. What advice would you give someone new? I am never short on advice! I would say to come in willing to learn, and willing to stick it out through some frustration and pain. Train in a way that is true to yourself. If you're analytical, go ahead and be analytical. If you're intuitive, be intuitive. But come in with an open mind and plenty of humility.
  7. Would you refer someone and why? My answer to this one has changed. Two years ago, I would have said, yes, of course! But now I would not recommend CrossFit to everyone. I have seen a lot of people come and go. CrossFit, particularly at our gym, takes a level of commitment and intensity that not everyone has. It's not about athletic ability or experience - I know I came in with almost none of either. It's about a mindset, a willingness to dig in when the going gets tough. You either have it or you don't. Some people have it, but it's buried deep down and they need to discover it. If someone asked me, do you honestly think I should try CrossFit, I'd ask them, do you have fight in you? When you're faced with a challenge, does it make your heart race, and do you like that? If I tell you that I don't think you can do it, does that make you want to do it even more? If so, then give it a try.

No comments: