Monday, November 15, 2010

The meet

Today's WOD:

Front squat 5-5-3-3-1-1-1
95-105-110-115-120-125-130#

then

21-15-9 reps for time of:

Row - calories
Burpees
Jump over the box 16"

My time: 11:16. That one hurt a lot. Very happy with the front squats, since this is the first time since last winter that I was able to get 130#, and it felt strong.

The meet

Well, I feel torn about the meet. On the plus side, I was very happy with the amount of weight I successfully got over my head. Unfortunately most of my lifts didn't count due to pressout, and that was disappointing.

photo from Tim

At the time I wasn't really sure what happened. I felt like I was moving really fast, and I didn't feel any pressout at all, so I was totally shocked to hear "no lift". I think I surprised myself with how fast I moved the bar on my pull, so that instead of a simple lockout, there was a rebound with my arms so that they locked, bounced out of the lock (elbow bend) and then locked again. The elbow bend is illegal, hence the red lights.

In the end, my results were:
Snatch: 36, 38 (no lift, pressout), 40 (no lift, pressout)
Clean and jerk: 48, 50 (no lift, miss), 50 (no lift, pressout)
for a total of 84 (which would have been 90 kg without those technical errors). Better than last year (78), but not nearly as good as I was hoping for.

Randy has a nice pep talk here, and I'm trying to keep that in mind. Even if you don't get your goals, you still went out there and risked it, and that's important. I feel like I have made a ton of progress in the last year, even if that doesn't show in my results. I worked really hard at everything - improving technique and strength, balancing my training in a smart way, keeping a tight leash on my nutrition, resting appropriately, and working on the mental component as well.

I know that eventually this hard work will show up in my performance. And even if it doesn't, at least my body likes weightlifting - I put on 7 pounds of muscle in two months, then leaned out about two pounds to easily make my weight class. So I'm feeling strong and fit and lean and fast. And I'm 2 1/4 years in to CrossFit/lifting with zero injuries.

Big thanks go out to Coach Randy and everyone I train with, because they all push me and support me and put up with my meltdowns as well. I was proud to compete as part of the Flatirons Weightlifting Team, just sad that I couldn't contribute more to the team's success.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Nice work Amy! Wish I could have been there to cheer you on. I just found an olympic weightlifting place in Queens New York, just outside of the city and I will head over there tonight to see what kind of instruction they offer. You are my hero. I have been running Steve my husband through some mini wods. It's been fun but I have no idea how to teach him how to do some of the lifts that we are taught at xfit. We've been having fun though. Happy lifting and keep up the good work!

Amy said...

Thanks, Katie! Miss you at FCF, hope that New York is a fun change of pace. Good luck with the Oly lifting. That's great you found a place and I hope it's a good fit!