Thursday, October 28, 2010

Paleo gingersnaps

No workout yesterday, and today I'm lifting, no WOD (clean and jerk day).

I have steered clear of Paleo baking for a while now. I used to make banana muffins every week, but I stopped doing that last spring cause I was just getting a wallop of fructose. But there were gingersnaps in the office the other day, and I just lost it. No, I didn't break down and eat one, but it was only the thought of the certain gluten bloat and pain that kept me away, and to cope, I had to down many spoonfuls of coconut butter. I haven't had a craving that bad for a while. It wasn't the sugar I was missing, more the spice and texture of the gingersnap, and how I associate them with fall, and the whole ceremony of having one (or a handful) with a hot cup of coffee.

So I put out a plea on Facebook for a Paleo gingersnap recipe, being sure to be good and dramatic about my abject gingersnap-less misery. Fortunately my friends came through and sent me these two links:

http://www.health-bent.com/treats/paleo-gingersnaps
http://www.elanaspantry.com/gingerbread-men-cookie/

The second link has about a million ingredients, some of which I'm not sure what they are, so I went with the first one. I still had to make a couple of substitutions/omissions because I stayed home yesterday and it's way too far to drive to the store for a couple of spices. So my version ended up being:

1 cup almond butter
1 egg
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
2 Tbsp maple syrup

Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer for 3 minutes, make 1 Tbsp balls and flatten with your hands, bake at 350F for 12 minutes.

I subbed the cream of tartar for ground cloves, because I had one and not the other, and thought it might lend a nice snickerdoodle flavor to the cookies. But I think cloves would have been much better. The texture was good and the flavor was nice but a little bland. I think they need more (or newer) ginger and definitely some cloves. Also a warning, when you mix the ingredients, the oil tends to separate out a bit from the almond butter and when you're shaping the cookies, you'll get your arms and the countertop more than a little greasy. Nothing a little Simple Green can't take care of.

I think I'll make another batch to bring to the Halloween meet on Saturday.

Links

No comments: