Thursday, September 16, 2010

Finding your voice

Today's WOD:

For time:

20 thrusters 55#
20 SDHP
20 push jerks
20 OHS
20 front squats
Every minute on the minute do 4 burpees

My time: 14:42. I gave the workout everything I had.

Finding our voice from Whole Nine

Melissa's post above talks about the fine line you walk with a blog, between making it accessible and non-offensive to everyone and making it your own voice. Like Melissa, I find myself increasingly censoring myself, especially with regards to content. When something goes wrong, when I'm feeling awful, I tend to quiet down on the blog, not use it as an outlet. When I'm bursting with pride about an achievement, I try to downplay it so I won't seem like I'm bragging. But Melissa's post led me to think about what really is the purpose of this blog.

I think that first and foremost, this blog is for me. It IS an outlet, it is a way for me to achieve fluency in thought and writing, a way to put a part of me down on (virtual) paper. To have some of me live outside of my own head. I think this is why introverts are drawn to blogging. We live so much of our lives with our thoughts kept to ourselves, it's fascinating to be able to share them in a nonthreatening, indirect way. And the reaction doesn't really matter. With the obvious exception of not wanting to insult, hurt, or worry my family and friends that read, I don't care if my posts make someone angry or if they think I'm a stuck-up jerk. If I make you mad, I probably made you think about something, and that's good. And if I make you really mad, you'll stop reading, and the problem is solved.

All of this is very vague, of course. But I'm thinking that perhaps I should be less careful. I should write more rants, longer posts.

6 comments:

Bluescaptain Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
primalpainter said...

I just can't help myself.

primalpainter said...

Er. Not that I hate thrusters myself. But that movie clip NEVER gets old. Ever.