Friday, August 20, 2010

New squat PR!

A chicken in a tree from Zeneedle

Today's WOD:

Back squat 1-1-1-1-1

125-135-145-155-165

then 12-9-6 at 60% (100#)

I finally beat my squat PR of 155#, which I got back in January. Finally! The last couple times I did back squats, I did 155 pretty easily but had a huge mental block and bailed when I tried 160. Today I said to hell with 160, I'll go for 165. I tried to stay calm, not stress about it, and just go for it 100 percent once I put my hands on the bar. It took 3 tries. The first I just barely dipped and then came back up, the second was a bit shy of parallel, and then I knew I could do it, so I asked someone to watch on the third try and make sure I got below parallel - and I did! It feels really good to conquer a mental block like that.

Lots of social fun planned for this weekend - I have a friend who's defending today (wish her luck!) and a neighborhood party tomorrow, then a hike on Sunday. And next week I start tapering for the Open. Having this PR under my belt really boosts my confidence and makes me more excited for the competition. We're going to have a big group from our gym, including four women (much better than being the only girl at Sectionals) and of course a whole bunch of our very good-looking Flatirons men. It's going to be a blast.

Friday Links

2 comments:

primalpainter said...

Yay for the hike! :) Awesome job on busting through to a new squat pr. Paul and I are going to try and make it down to Denver at least one of the days next weekend. Is there any particular day that is better?

Amy said...

Saturday. Everyone will compete on Saturday, but it's possible they will choose to narrow the field for Sunday. That would be great if you could make it! It will be a fun time.