Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Need more rest days and outlets

Today's WOD:

Deadlift 3-3-2-2

155-165-175-185

then

5 rounds for time of:

7 thrusters 55#
7 burpees
7 SDHP
7 pull-ups

My time: 14:02. That was a really tough one. Didn't exactly speed through it, but I tried to keep a steady pace.

I think I'm going back to 4 days a week. I was trying 5 days a week because some people I know are having a lot of success with almost no rest days, and resting more didn't seem to be helping me that much. But 5 days isn't helping either, and in fact it's making me tired and cranky and unpleasant. So back to 4. That means I'll take tomorrow off and come in Friday.

It's so hard to find the right balance with training. Always an experiment. When I start wearing too thin and it coincides with a heavy or stressful load at work, I turn into a real whiner. I can't stand myself when I'm like that. I have a big break planned for after the Open. Hopefully I can mellow out a bit up to then, have the break to reset, and then come back refreshed and with a more positive attitude.

Also, I really want to focus on creativity as an outlet. I tend to focus too much on training, and when I don't feel it's going well, I turn my only stress outlet into a stress generator, and anxiety builds up. I want to play piano more, do more experimental knitting and some hand-sewing (I have some ideas rattling around in my head), and maybe even get a decent camera and start learning more about photography.

But I promise I won't get into this hobby:

2 comments:

primalpainter said...

Third bunny disapproves of the jump. Approves of snuggles though, it would seem.

Nice work keeping a steady pace. When I saw the WOD this morning I was thinking I'd try to find a nice rhythm so I can just keep moving. I'll have to hit you up for that helpful lying-on-the-floor-trying-not-to-die position you discovered. I might need it today.

Was fun hanging with you girls (and boys!) last night!

Jane said...

Do you think Greta would like those jumps? She probably would enjoy them if she could do them on her own terms, not at the end of a leash.