Monday, July 26, 2010

Signed up for the Colorado Open

Today's WOD:

Back squat: 3 every 1:00 for 8 rounds

I used 125#. Edited to add: I just realized that the last time I did this, I struggled with 125, and today it wasn't bad. Progress!

then

8 tabata intervals each of:

Burpees
Wallball 10#
KB Swings
Row/calories
Count total reps

I got 190. Then got some help from Karen on box jump drills. I know they don't come easily to me, but I will get them yet!

I signed up for the Colorado Open, which is the Colorado state CrossFit games. It's August 28-29 at Front Range CrossFit in Denver. From the description on Front Range's page:
Any CrossFitter can register as an individual, be scored as an individual, and compete for the individual title. That CrossFitter can be a member of an Affiliate, workout in their garage, at 24 Hour Fitness, etc. There will be 2 individual workouts on Saturday and one individual workout on Sunday. For those of you that competed at the 2009 Colorado Open, the individual competition will be very similar to last year’s Open.

The individual workouts will be able to be scaled for anyone’s ability level.

One thing that is different this year is we are including the potential exercises and the weights that you are going to need to be able to do the workouts as prescribed. Not all of the listed exercises will be used. If you look down the list and there are obvious gaps in your skill set, well you have some time to work on those gaps. The listed weights for the exercises are the max weight that we will ask you to use. The actual weights that we use may be less.
Back squat 145 lbs
Front squat 105 lbs
Overhead squat 65 lbs
Power clean 105 lbs
Squat clean 105 lbs
Power snatch 65 lbs
Squat snatch 65 lbs
Thruster 65 lbs
SDHP 65 lbs
Deadlift 145 lbs
Jerk 65 lbs
Wall Ball 12 lbs
Ball Slams 30 lbs
KB snatch 16 kg
KB swing 16 kg
Jumps 20" height
Pullups Chin over bar
Burpees
Dips
Double unders
Rowing
Running
Tires
So looking over that list, I shouldn't have to scale. The only thing on there that I definitely can't do is dips. So I'll be working on those the next couple of weeks. The 105# squat cleans and 145# back squats would be right at my limit, but I think I could probably do it. Hopefully it will be a little lighter than that. I'm approaching this competition as calmly and positively as I can. I'm not going to stress out like I did for Sectionals. No one but me really cares if I do this, so I just have to please myself. I'll do that by going as hard as I can and doing my best on that particular day.

Finally, I'd like to link to this post on Unclutterer: Drifting away from mental clutter. It's actually a link to and commentary on The top idea in your mind by Paul Graham. I love this sentence from Paul Graham's post:
I’ve found I can to some extent avoid thinking about nasty things people have done to me by telling myself: this doesn’t deserve space in my head.
This is a good way to think about things. I've spent way too much time thinking about stuff that doesn't deserve space in my head.

No comments: