Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Strength Day 11

Summer Strength Day 11

1. Snatch
various reps at 55-75#
(was supposed to be 5-5-3-3-1-1-1 but I didn't stick to that because I was working on form)

2. 5x3 back squats at 125#

I may be getting stronger - the squats felt pretty easy at 125. Tonight is the last strength class of the session. Woo hoo! Wish I'd been able to make it to all 12, but 11/12 is not bad. I think Mike is the only person who made it to all 12 classes.

Tim got a little ranty today about lateness and making people do burpees when they're late. I read it and thought, damn right! I don't know, I really hate when people are late - not just for class, but in general. I know I would get more angry about it than he does. I think that when your lateness impacts other people (such as keeping a class from starting on time), you are being rude. Having some kind of consequence provides an incentive for people to rearrange their priorities and schedules, to build in some extra time if necessary. I was late to class once in the almost two years I've been coming to CrossFit, and I felt so guilty about it, I would have been relieved to do some penalty burpees. Now, I'm a very time-oriented person - my grad research was even about time perception - and I know a lot of people don't share this view of "lateness as rudeness" - it's simply not personal to them. So perhaps this tendency to take lateness personally is something that only time-oriented people do. It's an interesting question. I bet you could devise a whole personality classification system based on temporal sensitivity.

Links

2 comments:

Bluescaptain Joe said...

I've talked to a lot of people about this, but never a consistently late person. Ironically, I have a labmate who studies timing, and he is one of the most consistently late people I've ever known. My current hypothesis is that chronically late people just don't know how long things take to do. A friend of mine will say, "I'm just going to run upstairs and change, be right down" and then it's twenty minutes or half an hour until she's ready to leave. I think she really has no idea how long it takes to do things.

Amy said...

That's probably part of it. I'm consistently late at some things, never late at other things. But for me I think it's a motivation/attention issues. If I'm motivated to not be late, I pay close attention and don't lose track of time, or build in extra time. If I'm not motivated, I don't pay attention to the time. So it makes me wonder if consistently late people are always in that low-motivation state, or if, like you suggest, it's a skill or knowledge that's missing. Maybe both, but which is the underlying causal factor? Or is it something else? Hmmm.