Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer Strength Day 10 and Goals

Summer Strength Day 10

1. 8 rounds of 3 squat clean and jerks every 3:00
first 4 rounds: 85#, last 4 rounds: 90#

2. 5X3 front squats at 105#

Just 2 more days left in the strength program. There will be another one starting on July 20, but I need to switch it up and focus on metcons. I will drop in to the next session occasionally though. I've really enjoyed the class, as tough as it's been, and I'm hoping that I'll show progress on my 1 rep maxes.

Goals

I thought a bit lately about what really are my training goals. It's not a simple answer - I have several tiers of goals.
  • The first tier goal is just to be healthy, feel good, and take care of my body.
  • The second tier goal is to make continual improvement. Doesn't matter how much, how fast, just to stay on the path of improvement, don't slip back, stay injury-free, keep inching forward.
  • The third tier goal is to make big improvements. This is not always realistic, but I love it when I knock a minute off a benchmark WOD, when I add 10 pounds to a PR, when I learn a new skill. I realize I'm past the point where I can do this frequently, but it still happens occasionally.
  • And the fourth tier goal is completely unrealistic, but I still need to acknowledge it is in the back of my mind. I want to be good. Really good. I want to be in the top tier of women at the gym, the one who gets picked to be on the team, the one that's well-rounded and good at everything, the one that everyone has confidence in. Not "good given" - given I have no athletic background, no natural ability, no coordination, inefficient ATP pathways, etc. Just good, with no qualifiers. This might be years off. It might be impossible. But I still want it.
To achieve the first-tier goal, I just need to do what I'm doing. To achieve the second-tier goal, I need to be focused, take good care of my body, and make sure I'm giving the extra effort every time I go in. To achieve the third-tier goal, I need to think hard about my training and experiment with periodization, with honing my nutrition and rest, with long-term focus on learning and improving skills. I have no idea how to achieve the fourth-tier goal. I am setting myself up for failure and disappointment, and I want to let it go, but I can't do that yet.

Links

No comments: