Thursday, July 29, 2010

Snatches and OHS

Yesterday's WOD:

Snatch 5-5-3-3-1-1-1

60-65-70-75-80-failed at 85 (5 attempts I think? Gah!)

then

OHS: AMRAP in 5:00
I used 55# and got 57 reps

Okay, so it would have been nice to get the 85# snatch, and I was close, just couldn't GET UNDER THE BAR. I threw it up to about eye level, but just couldn't quite get under it (which is "ridiculous", and I quote). But I managed not to freak out, and the good news is that I kicked ass at the overhead squats. We were supposed to do 60% of our max, but I did almost 70% instead. And I still got one of the higher numbers of the day. So I felt really good about that.

Now how do I get past this mental block about getting under the bar for the snatch? I power snatched the crap out of 80#, so I do know it's a mental block about dropping under with heavy weight. Maybe some more snatch balance work, and some more work on squat snatches at 65-75#. Something to get me used to dropping even when the weight feels heavy. I'm going with my new strategy of not focusing on the final movement/goal and instead thinking of a path to get there.

Also did a tiny bit of ring dip practice and box jump work, but I ran out of time. I did try the 16" box and it went pretty well. Need to work more on that height with all the drills.

Going in at 5:30 today. More work on ring dips, box jumps, and possibly handstands. Plus a very interesting WOD that I have been strategizing about. More on that tomorrow...

Links

No comments: