Friday, July 23, 2010

Back in Boulder

Well, after almost a week on the road, I'm back in Boulder. I had a very productive and for the most part enjoyable trip, but it's always good to come home.

Today's WOD:

Front squat 5-5-3-3-1-1-1

95-105-110-115-120-125-failed on 130

5 rounds for time of:

10 thrusters 60#
21 double unders

My time: 14:28. On the 130# front squat attempt I dropped the bar. I was standing too close to the racks, and it bounced off the rack and slammed into my shins. The pain was pretty overwhelming, but I shook it off and started the WOD anyway. On the second round, I slammed the bar into my right shin and wow. It hurt, but more than that, it threw me mentally. I was ready to quit but I just couldn't, so I stood there staring at the bar. Fortunately Sid was there and wouldn't let me quit. He encouraged me to breathe, pick up the bar again, and keep cranking out reps until I was done. The double unders didn't go well, with the pain in my shin, I had a hard time willing myself to jump. It wasn't fast, but I got through a rather nasty mental/emotional breakdown, so I will count today as a success. Huge thanks to Sid for his excellent coaching. He said exactly the right things to get me through it. Oh yeah, and Sid wasn't even working today.

No comments: