Photo of last night's class (from Tim). I'm in the back, in the red shirt.
Summer Strength Program: Day 1
Back squats at 80% (125#):
3 every minute for 8 minutes
By round 4, my third rep was suffering (not getting full depth) and I couldn't get the last set at all, legs were shaking too badly. Probably should have gone a little lighter...
5X5 at 80% (went just under with 85#)
All were power cleans. These went pretty well, given how tired and shaky I was from the back squats! Could probably have done a little more weight, 90 or 95#, but I was trying to work on the shrug, and it's hard to fix form when it's too heavy.
If yesterday was any indication, this summer strength program is going to be tough! But I had fun. It felt good to push myself in a non-metcon kind of way. I'm looking forward to more tonight. And I'm eager to see some progress over the next couple of weeks.
It's always nice to get some love from the blogosphere. Thanks, Laura! And I am totally going to try your coconut flour pancake recipe.
My Battle with Dairy
I may not have been entirely forthcoming on the blog, but I've had an ongoing battle with dairy. As a good Paleo girl, I should just stay away from it and that's it. But there is some disagreement in the broader primal community about the role of dairy, and I love(d) it so much, I wanted to find some way to keep some dairy in my diet.
Pluses of including dairy
- It is so tasty
- Opens up more options when dining out
- Allows you to be more gourmet
- Casein causes lots of problems
- Lactose causes lots of problems
- Spikes insulin and makes you hungry
- No ice cream, only the smallest size of whole milk lattes, cheese in small amounts, butter and heavy whipping cream (they have almost no lactose or casein)
- No milk at all, cheese in small amounts, butter and heavy whipping cream
- Only lower-lactose cheeses (e.g., parmesan, feta), butter, and heavy whipping cream
- Only goat cheese (lower lactose/casein than cow's milk), butter, and heavy whipping cream
- Amazing use of space from Swiss Miss (via Unclutterer)
- Display your collections in small spaces (via Unclutterer)
- Check out the beautiful patterns and kits from Perl Grey