Monday, June 21, 2010

Grace and vertigo and Icarus

Today's WOD: Grace

Clean and jerk

30 reps for time 75#

My time: 5:15. I scaled it down from 85# to try to go faster. I'll be doing heavy lifting the rest of the week, so I wanted a fast metcon today. My Grace history:
  1. November 19, 2008: 4:46 with 48#
  2. January 15, 2009: 7:57 with 58#
  3. July 15, 2009: 7:36 with 75#
  4. October 1, 2009: 6:12 with 75#
  5. April 12, 2010: 6:44 as Rxd (85#)
  6. June 21, 2010: 5:15 with 75#
But the big deal today was that we did skin-the-cats on the rings today and I managed to do them. I was really freaked out because I get vertigo when I go upside-down and flip over (like in a somersault). I was shaking really badly and it took me forever to even try it. The first three or four I screamed (really). But I got in about ten, and by the end I even figured out how to tuck my head so I wouldn't get the horrible spinning sensation. So they don't scare me anymore. I wish I could have gotten a "good job" for that, but I guess it's too hard for anyone to know how much fear I actually overcame to do that. And I didn't want to brag, that's obnoxious. Sometimes the biggest personal victories feel very lonely.

Icarus

Given that I'm talking about vertigo (feeling of falling), it seems appropriate to show you my finished Icarus shawl. Poor Icarus, that must have really sucked. But at least you got a pretty shawl named after you. I kind of wanted to do this one in gray (more feather-y), but I'm so glad I went for the red. Click on the photos to see more detail (and to see how teeny tiny those stitches are).

The obligatory shawl/butt shot:

The close-up shot:
And I'd like to encourage a new category of shawl photos, the muscle shot (yeah, I'm flexing a bit):

1 comment:

rosanne said...

Gorgeous shawl!! and nice back shot too!! You did great today and looked great as well! ok, I am done complimenting you.