Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rest day

Photo from Jane Brocket. Her tulip posts always brighten my day! (Also, I want want want her new book. Total inspiration. I may have to order myself a present...)

No workout today, it's a planned rest day. Coincidentally, Tim posted about rest days on the FCF blog today:
It is really easy to get caught up in that mode of constantly working out. When it comes to working out, more is not always better. You cannot store up workout like money in the bank so doubling or tripling up on workouts to be "used" for a week when you don't work out as much does not work. Heavy workout days only work if you are getting the proper rest. Doing the CrossFit total on a rest day because it is not a metcon is just plain stupid. Heavy lifting should be and is very taxing on the body. Proper rest means getting enough sleep (8 hours minimum) eating properly, and just plain not doing anything. Resting is just as important as working out. All the gains you are hoping to make working out happen by resting. Working out doesn't make you stronger. Working out and resting makes you stronger. If you are training at Flatirons CrossFit doing nothing on your rest days is critical. Our program is heavy and extremely demanding.Treat your rest days like the clean and jerk... Get good at them!
I agree - it's easy to forget to rest, but it's really important! A big part of the picture is elevated cortisol (I'm researching this issue a ton right now and will be posting more about it), but beyond that, you just need to give your muscles time to heal. I've been going hard for a long time now, and I know I haven't been resting enough. I'm cutting my training days down from 5 to 4 a week, and I think I'll see a benefit. I also agree with his point that some people see heavy lifting without metcon as a rest day. That is just insanity - heavy lifting days may not leave you gasping on the floor, but they are very hard on your body. I know I feel wrecked at the end of a week with a lot of heavy lifting and spend much of the weekend on the couch!

Links
  • I just discovered the Whole Nine blog - some good stuff on there. I especially liked this post: The Carrot Train to Crazytown
  • Sweet and simple button necklace via Craftzine
  • Kitten Camaro's vegan wallets. Don't let the word vegan make you cringe - just means they're plastic and not leather. This circuit board one would be so cute for the nerd in your life. Except, did you ever notice that nerds only ever have indestructible nylon wallets with zippers or 15-year-old ratty leather wallets? Time for a stylish upgrade?

No comments: