Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Bear and winter greens

Sadly, no PRs to report today. But that's okay, I'm not freaking out about it and I've been having fun in the gym this week.

Last night's WOD: Helen


3 rounds for time of:

Run 400 meters
21 KB swings 24/16kg
12 Pull-ups

My time: 14:37. A little worse than last time, but I fought through a terrible side stitch, so even though I'm disappointed to not beat my time, I won't be too hard on myself. I was surprised at how quickly my grip strength fell off - my forearms were throbbing at the end of that! But my recovery was quick, felt very good after that stitch resolved.

Today's WOD: The Bear

Complete 5 rounds of:

7 cycles of:
Hang power clean
Front squat
Push press
Back squat
Push press

Add weight every round. You may not put the bar down during cycles. Rest as needed between rounds.

45-55-60-65-failed on 70

Same as last time. Oh well. At least I didn't get worse! That is an awful workout for sure.

Winter greens

One aspect of paleo eating that appeals to me is to try to eat foods in season. That means in the summer you should eat lots of fruit and a bounty of veggies - strawberries, tomatoes, peppers; apples and squash in the fall; dark leafy greens and root veggies in the winter; lettuce and asparagus in the spring. Since it's winter I've been trying to up the winter greens. Along with my not-very-in-season salad (but hey, there are some carrots), I had a buffalo burger with leeks the other night. Fried the leeks in a bit of bacon fat, a bit of salt and pepper for taste, and put a big pile of them on my simple tasty buffalo burger. They went together like peas and carrots (but don't eat peas, they're not paleo, haha).


I also got some rainbow chard, love to cook that up with some bacon fat or garlic-infused olive oil and plenty of salt. But Greta likes it plain, and raw:

"Why cook veggies? That's just crazy. Now go away, I'm eating."

No comments: