Saturday, January 2, 2010

WOD: Snatches and wall ball plus more Paleo blather

Today's WOD:

5 rounds for time of:

5 snatches 65#
20 wall ball 14#, 10' target

My time: 17:57. That time was actually pretty awful because I spent the first five minutes or so of the WOD trying to snatch 75#. Only got two of them. I did that weight fine in warm-up, but I just can't seem to remember that with snatches, I freak out when I try to go too heavy in the WOD. Something about the time pressure, I don't know. Very frustrating. At least I got it together enough to just take ten pounds off the bar and finish the workout.

Paleo stuff

So I'm going to try to post more Paleo stuff over the next two months. Lots of details. You may find them boring, and if you do, feel free to skip this stuff, but I'm hoping that if people are doing the Paleo Challenge (officially or just trying it out on their own), they might like to see some mundane details about what someone eats day to day. Especially when it comes to how to approximate Zone portions. I know it would have helped me when I was starting out.

Here was my lunch the other day. Leftover bison brat (I think about 3 oz) with horseradish mustard, just under an ounce of gruyere, 1 clementine, and 1 pear. I also had a handful of walnuts. That's about 4 blocks of protein, 3 blocks of carbs and a little heavy on the fat, if you count the fat in the brats (maybe about 6 blocks of fat total). That's what I've been doing lately, a little light on carbs and 1.5 to 2 times fat, and it seems to be working really well for me. No, the cheese isn't Paleo, but I allow myself 1 oz or smaller servings once in a while.


This (along with a salad) was my New Year's dinner. Roast beef slow cooked with onions and peppers, and steamed-then-sauteed swiss chard and broccoli.


That's about 4 oz of roast beef (4 blocks), unmeasured fat in the olive oil the greens were cooked in and on the salad, and unmeasured (but probably less than 4 blocks) of carbs in the salad and greens. Yep, that's about how precise I get usually. Spirit of Zone, adjusted for me (lower carb and higher fat), mostly eyeballed. It's not that hard.

The greens looked so pretty cooking, I just had to get a picture:


Switching to Paleo has just been the best thing I've ever done for my health. I can't overstate the benefits of eliminating grains and sugars from my diet. I feel better, have more energy, and I've seen amazing changes in my body. I leaned out quickly and without even thinking about it. I never feel deprived, and it's easy to eat right, no difficult judgment calls. I'm free from dieting and food guilt forever. It may seem like a sacrifice, and it is certainly an adjustment at first, but a Paleo lifestyle is not a hardship.

I think the most critical thing is to focus on the positives, all the great food you can eat, and eventually you just won't want the forbidden stuff anymore. It actually makes me sick to my stomach to see someone eating bread or pasta. My mouth does not water when I look at cookies or cake. And I'm not the only one - Mike was a total sugar junkie and now he has no cravings or desire for that stuff at all. And many others I've talked to feel the same way. You see, that emotional reaction to sugars and starches is NOT built-in, it's not "only human" to crave food that's essentially poison to you. It's psychological, it's learned over years and years. And a few months is all it takes to totally unlearn it. Amazing. So don't give up, don't say you can't do it. We EVOLVED to eat Paleo, it's how we are meant to eat. Your body will love you for it.

No comments: