Monday, December 28, 2009

WOD: cleans and double unders

Saturday's WOD:

Back squat 2-2-2-2-2-2 at 110#

then

3 rounds for time of:

10 double KB clean and jerk 12 kg (16 kg Rx'd)
15 OHS 65#
20 box jumps 20" (24" Rx'd)

My time: 15:40. That was a Sid workout! I really like overhead squats, and I was happy to be able to do the Rx'd weight.

Today's WOD:

Back squat 5-5-5-5-5 at 120#

then

5 rounds for time of:

5 cleans 95-85# (135# Rx'd)
21 double unders

My time: 13:08. I did the first round with 95# and then moved to 85#. My legs were super shaky from the back squats, so the cleans did not go very well. Oh, and the double unders went badly too. Just completely lost my coordination. But at least I got through the WOD, I thought in the second round I was going to have to stop mid-way.

Snowboarding

Yesterday was a snowboarding day, and it went pretty well. No crying, no tantrums, didn't even get frustrated! I stuck to some easy stuff, tried to work on going longer distances without sitting down. It was actually kind of fun. On the last run, I followed a class of about half a dozen skiing 5-year-olds, and they were singing this song: "I'm not a chicken!", followed by flapping their arms, and then waving their arms over their heads and yelling "yay!" Perhaps this was the instructional breakthrough I needed. Skiing, snowboarding, they are supposed to be fun! And it is rather important not to be a chicken! So I followed them down (not too close), singing the chicken song in my head and smiling when they yelled yay. And I had fun!

Paleo Christmas Dinner

I know that many people who are serious about eating healthy still make exceptions for holidays and special occasions. What would Christmas dinner be without mashed potatoes and gravy? Stuffing? Pie? And so on. But I'm all for making new, delicious traditions. Here was my Christmas dinner:

That's slow-cooked roast bison with onions and reduced organic beef broth, sauteed swiss chard and carrots, and roasted, mashed butternut squash with cinnamon. Pears with unsweetened coconut and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. Being healthy DOES mean making sacrifices, but it doesn't have to mean suffering!

No comments: