Saturday, July 11, 2009

WOD: Fausto and baby robins

So, two robins have been hanging out around my deck and they've been acting strangely. Chirping a lot, dive bombing other birds, staring at me, even approaching me when I'm out there. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out. Babies! The nest is in a tree right next to the deck, really close. I'm not a great photographer, and the robin mom was freaking out as I took this picture, so I didn't stay long. But you can click on the picture to get a better look.

I got this picture just in time. Today I spied an empty nest and a couple of fluffy little fledglings getting a flying lesson. Aww! So cute! The one guy was have a hard time getting his courage up to jump off a rock. Mike said it reminded him of me trying to do a box jump...

Today's WOD: Fausto

5 rounds for time of:
10 pull-ups
15 burpees
20 boxjumps
25 wallballs

My time: 37:00. That included a lost (and found, and re-inserted) contact lens, I think on round 3. This is the fourth time I've done this very challenging workout. It was created in memory of a guy who trained at FCF who was tragically killed in a car accident early last fall. As painful as this workout is, you can't complain about it - there's something very life-affirming about a workout honoring someone who has passed on. You know, feeling lucky to be alive, knowing that a tough workout is certainly not the worst thing that can happen to you. Or as Tim more succinctly put it, "Go hard. He is dead and you're not."

The last time I did this was in April, and before that was in December. I beat my December time but not my April time. But I was only a minute and a half over, and this time I did unassisted pull-ups, so I finally did this workout as Rx'd. I don't know how people can get through this so quickly. Everyone passed me on my round 3 (their round 4). I just get so slowed down on the box jumps. I know they're my weakness. I'll keep working on them. I definitely went slower on pull-ups than when I did them with the bands - only 2 to 4 at a time - so I think the rest of the workout must have gone considerably faster than before. I consider it progress. Next time - under 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Congrats on the Fuasto, can't say I'm sad to never have to do that one again.
Whenever it came up I had to force myself to go to the gym that day.