Friday, May 1, 2009

WOD: Isabelle

Brain's (Brian's) Birthday Workout: Heavy Isabelle

30 snatches for time 65#

Time: 14:24 (I think). Prescribed weight was 95# (heavy Isabelle), but I knew I wasn't getting anywhere near that when my max on snatch is about 70#! Being able to do 30 at 65# in under 15 minutes tells me that my real max is probably a lot higher. Especially since I essentially did all power snatches (no, I didn't get low enough)! So I just need to figure out how to make myself get lower, and I will see that weight go way up.

Last time I did Isabelle (in January) I did it really fast but only used 48#. So I went up 35% in weight, very happy about that. Maybe on my next attempt I'll be able to do 75#. This was a good workout, a good day.

Nutrition

The FCF nutrition challenge starts on Monday, so I made up a paleo plan spreadsheet (over in the sidebar under Data/Tools). I put my meal plans for the first week in there, and the second page is a grocery list. It's not a food log, just a guide to help me plan out for a week. This is mainly for my personal use, but I thought I'd post it in case anyone was looking for something to help organize their efforts. Feel free to grab it and make a copy for yourself.

I do believe that nutrition and eating is a very personal thing, but I plan to share my thoughts and experiences with this nutrition challenge to some extent here on the blog, and I invite and welcome any comments, questions, and discussion on the topic. The most important thing is to be safe and healthy and to feel good about yourself and your body. This should be a positive experience, a personal challenge and not a cuttthroat competition. Everyone I've talked to who is planning to participate has a very positive and supportive attitude, so I think it will go well. I'm curious to see what kind of changes I can make and how this will go overall.

Muppets

Today I would like to feature Grover, my favorite monster from Sesame Street. He is both lovable and furry. This book, by the way, is excellent. If you haven't read it, get to your library right away. Lots of dramatic suspense, action, and a great ironic twist at the end.

On Sesame Street, I particularly enjoyed Grover's exploits as a waiter (photo from the Muppet Wiki).

3 comments:

Jane said...

I recognize that book! It was one of my favorites. The first time I saw/heard it was in my reading methods class during my junior year in college (37 years ago). That just shows you that truly excellent literature is timeless.

Margaret said...

I love that book!!
Our copy is so beaten up. John, at age nine, still likes for me to read it to him some nights.

rosanne said...

yes, a timeless book! thanks for that memory!
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Again, congrats on the pullups!!!