Friday, May 29, 2009

Cinnamon Apple Paleo Muffins

Today's WOD:

3 rounds for time of:
Run 400
20 push-ups
40 Kb snatches 12kg

My time: 17:50. I tore the hell out of my hands. Was probably subconsciously avoiding my callouses (from working a lot on pull-ups all week) and held the bell too deep in my hands, so it was just rip rip rip right across both palms. I definitely could have had a better time, probably by a minute or two, but by the end I was screaming every time I caught the bell and more skin ripped off. Sorry to be gross, but it's true.

So I had a really exciting night last night - watched the national Spelling Bee semi-finals and did some experimental paleo baking. (I love the Spelling Bee! Any other fans out there???) I used Chelsea's paleo banana-nut muffins from Steve's blog and a couple of other recipes and guidelines I found online as inspiration, and after two batches of muffins, I have a recipe I'm happy with:

Cinnamon Apple Paleo Muffins

1 c almond flour
1 c unsweetened finely shredded coconut
2 eggs
1 large apple, cored, peeled, and diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp almond butter
1/4 c blue agave sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
a dash of nutmeg

Mix all ingredients and divide evenly into a muffin tin. Bake 15 minutes at 375F. Makes 1 dozen. I brought a couple for Tim to try and he gave them a thumbs up.

The recipe can easily be halved, but fill the 6 unused muffin cups halfway with water so the pan heats evenly.

Some Bonus Variations

Blueberry Muffins:
substitute 1/2 to 1 cup of blueberries for the apples
you could omit the cinnamon or swap it out for another spice

Peach Muffins:
substitute a cup of chopped peaches for the apples
could be really good with local Colorado peaches in the summer!

Nut Muffins:
omit apples
increase olive oil to 3 Tbsp
add 1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans
maybe add a little unsweetened applesauce too, if they are too dry

Wish I'd thought to take a picture - I'll try to remember and add one later. If you make these (or any variations) let me know how they turn out!

Tomorrow's a team workout - I'm going to put an inch of tape on my hands and hope for the best. Enjoy the weekend! I'll leave you with a cool owl vase and some pretty roses, via Oh Joy.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

I didn't realize that you had ripped both hands, really it's not hard to learn to cut the calluses out, Rosanne taught me. I'll try the muffins they sound delicious

Neil said...

These were great. I included a banana in the batter and added blueberries after mixing. Also subbed honey for agave. Thanks!

Meg said...

I had a go at your muffins tonight - I changed it up slightly, with honey instead of agave and coconut oil instead of olive...they are still baking in the oven, I'll let you know how the turn out later!