Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Bolder Boulder and a mini-rant on running

British Virgin Islands

I just bought two new swimsuits. I think I did this because my subconscious was telling me I need a beach vacation. Maybe I'll go spectate at the CrossFit Games in CA in July and tack a beach vacation onto it...

Yesterday's WOD: Run 10k (the Bolder Boulder)

My time: just short of 1:13 I think. Disappointed I didn't run it faster, but thanks Susan for staying with me. It took about as long as the last time I did the Bolder Boulder, a couple of years ago, when I was doing 30-45 minute runs several times a week. It was fun and not nearly as painful as I was fearing it might be. I ran it in my soccer shoes, which forced me to use better running form, so my joints were not sore after the race and everything feels fine today (unlike last time). I did get a horrible side stitch somewhere between miles 4 and 5, had to stop for a minute or two, but it went away. I need to figure out why that always happens when I run. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, probably breathing too shallow.

Anyway, this is proof that you can run a 10k with only CrossFit and absolutely no running training. I hate running, so that's great news for me. I don't mind doing a race once in a while if it means I don't have to do a bunch of running to prepare for it. I have to say, I wish running weren't seen as the Holy Grail of fitness. I saw a lot of people running that race who admittedly ran faster than me but who just did not look strong or healthy. Some looked downright emaciated, and very few people had any muscle to speak of. Why optimize your fitness training on running when it's just one thing and you so rarely actually need to run? There are many times when you need to lift heavy things, squat down, jump, have good balance, pull yourself up. Those are the things to get better at. Why does the fitness community (the one in Boulder especially) put running above all else? It's hard on your body (harder the more miles you put in), leads to all kinds of injuries - short and long term, and doesn't help you do anything else better. At least I can take comfort in the fact that, while we CrossFitters will do their sport, most of these people outrunning me would never even try the crazy WODs we do each day.

Today's WOD:

Complete 8 tabata intervals each of:
Ball slams 13#
Kettlebell swings 16 kg
Burpees
Row (for calories)

Total reps/calories: 241. This was a good one. The burpees were tough, but better than my usual attempts, I think!

2 comments:

Bluescaptain Joe said...

I think that people run less to be fit and healthy than they do to remain thin. I know that when I get into running, it's typically motivated more out of desire to lose weight than anything else. In my experience, it's more a status thing than anything else -- if you can run ten miles a day, you are fancy. It's also huge in the indie/hipster community -- if they exercise (which is not many of them, in my experience), they typically run, because it's cheap and you can be very anti-establishment when you run. Whatever the hell that means. Oh, and the fashion -- they get to wear ironic headbands and too-short shorts while they run.

Amy said...

Ha! Funny. The irony is that intensity and weight training slim you down much more effectively than aerobic exercise. I think it's a well-believed myth that running (by itself) is an effective way to lose weight. Sure going from no exercise to some exercise will always be effective, but for me, I want to pick the most efficient path to weight loss.

I think skinny people tend to be runners because it comes easier to them, rather than running makes people skinny. Correlation != causation.

Where does one buy these ironic headbands? I think I want one, my bangs are getting too long. :)