Thursday, April 16, 2009

WOD: DT and Kettlebell Workout

Yesterday's WOD:

For time:
10 rounds each arm of:
12 kg Kettlebell
3 swings
3 cleans
3 push jerks
3 snatches

Time: 11:17. Last time I did this workout I got 14:21. So a 21% improvement. I'll take it!

Today's WOD: DT

5 rounds for time of:
12 deadlifts 63#
9 hang power cleans
6 push jerks

Time: 16:57. Prescribed weight was 100# for women. Yeah, I wasn't getting anywhere near that. Had hoped to do 73#, but my shoulders were hurting really bad on the push press with just 63# (probably because of all the weightlifting work this week) and I didn't want to risk hurting myself this close to the meet (a week from Saturday). I'm actually glad I went light because it loosened my shoulders and everything else up, and I feel great now, not sore at all.

Knitters who care about fitness

Yesterday a fellow knitblogger made a very stark and eloquent statement about the importance of fitness, and I wanted to share it with you.
Age is no fucking excuse for lazy bad habits. C'mon guys. Listen to Etherknitter Laurie -- modern medicine can't fix years of you treating your body like garbage. I hate to burst your bubble, but knitting is NOT exercise. Those extra ten or twenty pounds (or more), the achy knees and back, the crap diet -- addressing these issues is never gonna get easier then it is right this very instant.
From Claudia's blog. Nicely put! Don't wait for a convenient time, a better time! It will never get easier. Just start now, dive right in, and take care of yourself with a healthy diet and exercise. Your body will thank you for it, now and later.

A huge part of my motivation for working out like I do (and eating better than I ever have) is concern about my future. On both sides of my family tree, there is a lot of lifestyle-related disease and not a lot of longevity. I want to beat those odds. I intend to live not only for a very long time, but also at as high a quality of life as possible. Does that mean I have to get off my ass every day? Yes. Does it mean I need to choose an apple over a candy bar for my afternoon snack? Yes. Is it worth it? You bet. Inertia works both ways - a body at rest stays at rest, but a body in motion stays in motion. So get moving!

I'll end with a fun link from Not Always Right: Rage Against the Earless Machine

1 comment:

claudia said...

I hate being the knitblogger voice of doom. But if peer modeling gets just a few knitters to think about addressing their fitness, its worth it.