Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pull-up(s)!

I got another goal yesterday - I can do unassisted pull-ups now! No more bands for me. That took me 5 months of working on it nearly every day. I don't think I've ever worked so hard or consistently to get something. Somehow yesterday it just clicked and I could do it. I even did four in a row. I did some more today just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I'm looking forward to being able to do many more of the workouts prescribed now. I'm so excited to join the pull-up club. It may not be as glamorous as the muscle-up club, but it's a big deal to me.

Yesterday's WOD:

8 Tabata intervals each of:
Deadlift 95#
Ball slams 13#
Box jumps

As prescribed! 165 total reps. And lots of sweat.

Today's WOD:

5 rounds for time of:
5 thrusters 55#
10 burpees

Time: 8:54. I think I did better than usual at getting through the burpees. I was nowhere near the prescribed weight of 95#, but I suck at thrusters and my shoulder was hurting, so I decided to go light. Heavy thrusters for me would probably not have been more than 65# though. I need to work on my form for going overhead. I think I still have a lot of fear issues with getting the weight over my head. Will do at least two weighlifting classes next week and work on this. Maybe I'll add push press to my warmups too.

Overall I've been happy with my progress lately. PRs at the weightlifting meet, pull-ups, dips are coming along, HSPU are getting better, weights and times in the WODs are improving slightly. I seem to go through a recurring cycle where I plateau for a while and then see a lot of improvements, and then plateau again. (Does this happen to anyone else?) I keep looking for what I can do differently when I'm in a plateau, with nutrition, training amount or strategies, mental focus, whatever - but I think honestly this is just the pattern that I'm going to follow and I shouldn't keep beating myself up over it. Just keep working hard and eventually I'll get unstuck.

A Little Knitting

Still working on the cotton-linen striped scarf (should be finished soon), but I wanted to show you a started-and-temporarily-on-hold project. Fancy socks (a neat twisted stitch rib)! The color is actually a semi-solid red, not the weird magenta it appears to be in this horribly overexposed picture. The designer is Ann Budd (a local knitter/designer/writer from Boulder). I can't remember the name of the pattern or find the link right now, but they were part of a collection of sock patterns in a freebie from Interweave Knits (via their Knitting Daily email list). Updated to add: they're called diagonal rib socks and were originally published November 2004.

3 comments:

Jane said...

I never thought I'd have a daughter who could do unassisted pull-ups. Wow! I'm proud of how hard you've worked for this. But you've always been a worker in almost anything you do. Maybe not ballet or gymnastics, but music and school for sure. I'm glad to see it paying off in fitness as well. That's my girl!

mtbjune said...

Congratulations Amy, that is a huge accomplishment!! You should be very proud :):)

claudia said...

Amy, CONGRATULATIONS!!! And 4! Wow. I am so proud of you, and I know how hard you worked to reach this goal.