Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Travel WOD: Burpee/Squat Ladders

Today's Travel WOD: Burpee/Squat Ladders

10 burpees
1 squat
9 burpees
2 squats
...
1 burpee
10 squats

Didn't time it but it definitely hurt. Also got a burpee cough, similar to a Fran cough. Excellent travel WOD, as you can do it anywhere and it doesn't take long. I will use this one again.

My conference started today. All the academic types here are so into their work but don't take care of their health at all. It's very common among academics - most of them eat badly, many have weight issues, none get enough sleep, very few exercise (they say they don't have time). I can understand being into your career (I'm not, but I can understand it), but I don't understand prioritizing work over health. The people in my field are by and large not religious, so they, like me, think that you only get one shot at life. With this mindset, I just don't know why you wouldn't try to keep your quality of life as high as possible for as long as possible. If you neglect your health and end up with a heart attack at 50, all those late nights spent writing papers and grants don't mean much, do they?

I miss everyone at the gym - when I'm away I realize how much I love being around you all. You're high achievers with full lives, but you care enough to prioritize your health and you're incredibly disciplined about it. That inspires me, more than any roomful of prestigious researchers.

3 comments:

Bluescaptain Joe said...

Or you could be like Donald Broadbent -- work a long, intense career until old age, then die within a year of retirement.

Like a sucker.

lucinda said...

We miss you too, Amy! Did you do your workout in front of everyone to set a good example???

Margaret said...

We definitely miss you, excellent self discipline doing WODs at a resort