Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Got the HSPU! Hooray!


Today was weightlifting technique with Mark, focusing on overhead and push jerk. But that's not the big news...

I got a handstand push-up! Not a real head-to-floor, but I went up into the handstand and locked out, then came down some, then back up. So I'm counting it, and I crossed it off my list. Thanks ladies of estrogen hour for making me do it a bunch more times - that really cemented it in my head and made me feel more confident.

When I started at FCF in September, I laughed (cringed?) at the idea of being able to do a handstand push-up. I did not think I would ever be able to do it, not because of the strength required, but because of my total lack of coordination and fear of being upside-down. For context - I have never even been able to do a cartwheel. Spent years of my childhood trying (and falling) but I just couldn't get it, not even once. This was really, really scary. But after six months of first talking myself into trying it and then practicing getting into a handstand, I finally got it. I know it might not seem like a big deal to the 90+ percent of CrossFitters who could do it on their first try without any fear, but for me, this is my biggest accomplishment since I've started CrossFit. And with how insanely stressed out I've been lately, I needed this.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I left you a comment, but it didn't seem to post. I'll try again. I'm so proud of you, Amy. I can't believe that I could produce a daughter who can do that! The cartwheel thing is hereditary - I could never do one either. You are a very determined person, and you should be proud of yourself!

claudia said...

Congratulations!