Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WOD: Kelly

Yesterday's WOD: Kelly

5 rounds for time of:

Run 400 meters
30 boxjumps 20"
30 wallball 14-16#

My time: 42:22. I'm SLOW, at least 6 minutes slower than anyone else. The box jumps continue to get to me, just take so much mental energy. But I did heavy wall ball, and I sprinted on at least some of the running laps. So I know I was pushing myself, even though it took forever.

Today's WOD:

10 rounds for time of:
Pushups (substituted them for ring dips) 7 reps
SDHP 53# 7 reps

Time: 11:22. I probably scaled it down too much because I finished first today. But it felt good to do a sprint after last night's slogathon.

Article: Fortitude
I read this yesterday afternoon and thought about it a lot as I was doing the long workout last night. It does help to keep in mind that when it takes me longer than everyone else, I'm actually getting an extra benefit: all that "mental training". I still hate being the "slow kid in class", but I'm trying to not dwell on it and to push the ego stuff aside. I really appreciate Robbie cheering me on throughout and especially on that last round, and James helping me break down the 30 wall balls into manageable goals. And when Tim ran that lap with me I tried so hard to go fast - I think that was my fastest lap other than the very first one. Honestly I can't remember how I ever worked out alone before.

Promised knitting pictures:

Kettlebell-embroidered hats for Todd and Tim (still need to be blocked):

The first Corazon mitten in progress. It's actually almost finished now because I worked on them some more last night. The back of the hand:

And the palm (I love how this part looks):

This is a gift, so I went with the colors the giftee chose, but I think in the future I'll go with higher contrast for fair isle. This is pretty, but it sort of blends together and doesn't give the nice graphic look that traditional fair isle mittens have.

Stay tuned for pictures of the blue lace scarf and Mike's new hat later this week.

1 comment:

Bluescaptain Joe said...

The pacman hat continues to get rave reviews, fyi. This designer knitting thing may be your niche.

Also, being the slow kid in class? I am that kid in my First Language Acquisition seminar -- UGH! I'm such an idiot. I'm like, "what's the distributional property of the phoneme?" And the professor gets this super-awkward look on his face and answers with something like, "That question doesn't really make sense in this context" which means "you don't even know enough to be able to ask a question about this, do you?"

It's humbling and edifying, but damn is it frustrating.