Monday, January 26, 2009

WOD: Force Recon Gone Bad

Boat meets gull in the British Virgin Islands, December 2007 (Click to embiggen)

Note: Today is post #99. If you haven't yet left a comment to enter the 100th post contest, you're running out of time!

Today's WOD: Force Recon Gone Bad

3 rounds for time of:

12 pull-ups (1-band)
20 double KB clean and jerk
15 double KB squats
20 KB snatch each arm
10 knee to elbows

My time: 43:27. Holy crap. I did not think I would make it. I spent 90 percent of the workout in a cold sweat trying not to throw up. But I did the whole thing with 12 kg kettlebells. I had the 8's there as a backup, but I didn't use them! Tim and Chris, thanks for cheering me on when I wanted to quit. The nice thing is that the workout lasted long enough to give me an endorphin rush, so now I'm in a good mood for once.

Tim kept telling me "don't listen to your brain, your body can do it". True, my brain was totally not on my side on this workout. Gee Brain, this is the thanks I get for dedicating nearly a decade of my life to learning about you? Traitor. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about mental training. When I set the bells down, I would hear "ow ow ow stop stop stop!!!" in my head. But as soon as I picked them up again it all went quiet. It's really hard to push through when all your instincts tell you to give up, but it feels good to know that you can do it.

Some knitting content: several CrossFitters have expressed some interest in knitting - want to learn how, want to re-learn, already know and want to learn more, or just want a group to knit with. When I started this blog, I thought the overlap between CrossFit and knitting would be zero, but there is definitely overlap. Is anyone interested in starting an FCF knitters group? We could figure out some time to meet and share our knowledge. I'm glad to teach all I know - I'm not a pro or anything, but I know the basics of most techniques. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send an email around.

A pattern that might be nice to start with: the Sinful Ribbed Scarf (link to a PDF), an easy but beautifully textured scarf, free pattern from Classic Elite Yarns. If you're a beginner, this would be a good choice, as it looks a lot more complicated than it is - just knits and purls, nothing fancy. Also good for a zen project for an experienced knitter to veg out with. The texture would look good in chunky yarn, which would go fast, or I think it would be elegant in skinny yarn as well. I think I might adapt the ribbing pattern to a hat, stay tuned for more on that.

2 comments:

rosanne said...

ok, so I know exactly where you were coming from on "wanting to throw up" during today's workout. I also felt that way and voiced that I actually felt totally out of shape. I leaned on the overhead door many-a-times. It was horrible! What's up with that? I even had the lighter than normal bells! Though I did do chest to bar pullups. UGGHHHH!!!

Amy said...

I don't know why it was so horrible, it didn't scare me when I saw it on the website.

Here are the total counts, I guess this makes it a little clearer why it sucked. Honestly, I think the first two alone would be a very hard workout.

36 pullups
60 double kb clean and jerk
45 double kb squats
120 kb snatch
30 kte