Monday, January 19, 2009

Kettlebells and Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing on(!) Mills Lake, RMNP
Roberto, me, and Mike

Today's Kettlebell Workout:

10 rounds each hand (12 kg):
3 swings
3 cleans
3 jerks
3 snatches

My time: 14:21. I think my form on the clean was a lot better than last week, and I'm making some progress on the snatch, but I'm still struggling with the jerk. Just can't seem to get my weight in the right place.

Snowshoeing yesterday was fun. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park, from the Glacier Gorge parking lot to Mills Lake, about 5.5 miles round trip. I was surprised by how much CrossFit training has improved my snowshoeing. I was able to go a lot faster and recover more quickly after a steep climb. But the biggest difference was on the downhills. I've always been skittish on downhills, take forever placing my feet, but this time it just seemed so much easier. I think all the squats and weightlifting have just made me better at balancing and feeling how my leg muscles engage when my balance changes. So when I started to slip, I knew how I was going to catch myself and so I was able to move with more confidence and more quickly. I really hope this translates to hiking as well, as the downhills always slow me way down.

I was so tired I hardly got anything done this weekend. Was hoping to do a thorough top-to-bottom house clean and declutter. In theory, it seems like I should have plenty of time to stay caught up on housework, but it always gets away from me when I get tired. Maybe I'll get caught up this week.

No comments: