Tuesday, December 16, 2008

WOD: OHS and WOD: Deadlifts and Burpees

Mike's favorite toy. Can a Jeep shiver?

Yesterday's WOD:

100 overhead squats for time

first 50 reps at 38#
last 50 reps at 33#

Time: 12:26. Not too bad. I actually felt kind of good on the OHS. Felt like I had the bar in the right place and I was getting the full squat. Thank god I didn't have to do the remedial pole squat like I did the last time we did OHS.

Today's WOD:

5 rounds for time of:

5 deadlifts 123#
10 burpees

Time: 10:54. I was very happy to get the weight up on the deadlifts, but they sure were hard. I think I didn't do them very well because my lower back is really sore now. The burpees sucked of course, but Tim was right, I was almost looking forward to them because the deadlifts were so hard.

Nutrition: I admit I've gotten curious about the Zone diet/eating plan because a lot of CrossFitters seem to be such big fans of it. I borrowed some books to see if I can get a better idea of what it is, what the claims are, and what the support is for those claims. I suspect there's a fair amount of pseudoscience thrown in there, but that doesn't mean I can't pull something useful from it. For one thing, I've never been an athlete, so I never thought about eating like an athlete. Clearly nutrition is important for everyone but there may be facets (timing, ratios, etc.) that are particularly important for athletes. Does anyone have any opinions on the Zone, personal experience, or thoughts about nutrition and eating plans in general?

Lately I have changed my diet to increase protein and fat a bit and decrease sugar and starches, and I've been feeling good and getting leaner. But I still have crashes during the day and I think I need to make some more changes. Not sure if I want to make small incremental changes or try something more structured. I will do some reading and see what I find out.

I had a rant about weight machines prepared, but I've written a lot already, so I think I'll post that tomorrow. I'll leave you with a black alpaca mitten in progress:

It's soft! Kind of wish it was for me.

No comments: