Wednesday, December 17, 2008

WOD: Kryptonite

Today's WOD: Kryptonite

9 thrusters 43#
15 burpees
40 double unders
6 thrusters
12 burpees
30 double unders
3 thrusters
9 burpees
20 double unders

Time: 9:25. I subbed 3 single unders for each double under. Went light on weight because my back is still hurting. But after the workout, it's feeling much better. The good news is 43# thrusters felt really light. I must be getting stronger.

Also got 2 successful handstands (against the wall) between warmup and workout. I'm going to make myself do them every day until I can get it every time.

I'm still reading about the Zone. I started out skeptical, but I have to say, from the reading I've done so far, I'm finding it really compelling. I'm giving it a try now...will see how it goes and report back.

I thought I'd get more reactions on the article I posted yesterday, must be old news. I don't get things until they're on the internets for a while. :) For what it's worth, here are my reactions:

1. As a scientist: This is BS - many, many genes, plus a gazillion aspects of the environment, interact to contribute to something as complex as athletic ability. Information about a single gene may be meaningful in groups of people for identifying correlations, but except in cases of single-gene diseases or traits, it is not going to tell you anything about the individual.

2. As a CrossFitter: Even if it were possible to identify who is better suited for endurance vs. power sports (and I am skeptical about that), aren't speed and power important for everyone? I understand that if you want to be an Olympic marathoner, you will focus on endurance exclusively. But be honest, the vast, vast majority of people will never be elite athletes who require that level of specialization. Our focus should be on health for life. This will only encourage people to specialize at a very young age, which is harmful for 99.99% of us.

3. As a human being: Kids should be kids. Who cares if your 2 1/2 year old is having trouble focusing in soccer practice? What the heck is a toddler doing in soccer? Kids should be encouraged to be active and have fun and try new things. Pigeonholing them is limiting and stupid. Boulder is INSANE. The fact that people actually want their children to take this test scares the hell out of me.

Knitting update: I'm behind, so behind! Not panicked yet, but I might be soon. No blocking has happened yet, so no blocking pictures. I'm also at the point where I'm second guessing everything I've made. I am trying to talk myself out of knitting replacement gifts. I know the fact that I am even considering this means I am crazy.

I've decided to make Wednesdays "Patterns I Like Wednesdays". Today's Pattern I Like is this beautiful worsted weight lace scarf from the Purl Bee in NYC.

Image from the purl bee website.

I'm cheap, so I would not make it in cashmere. But I think it would be just as pretty in a nice worsted weight wool or wool-silk blend.

I feel like I've ranted enough today, so any more ranting will be postponed till another post.

No comments: