Friday, December 19, 2008

A Box Jump Breakthrough

Yesterday's WOD:

21-15-9 reps for time of:

Push jerk 53#
Pull-ups (1-band)
Box jumps 20"

My time: 17:24. This was my first WOD with all 1-band pull-ups. I was really happy about that. I got a sort-of kip on them, not a real kip, but whatever, it seems to get me over the bar. I'm excited to try Saturday's group/challenge workout with 1-band pseudo-kipping pull-ups.

I think I could have done more weight on the push jerk, but my form was off. I think I was partly thrown by wearing my squishy sneakers, didn't feel stable. I hate wearing them for lifting, but I needed to wear sneakers for the box jump. It might be time to invest in some CrossFit-friendly sneakers. What do people wear? I heard indoor soccer shoes are good (like Adidas sambas or maybe Pumas). I was browsing on zappos and there are so many options. Any suggestions?

I also had a bit of a psychological breakthrough on the box jumps. I always struggle getting off the ground because I feel like I need to mentally "set" myself before each jump. I went through the first 2 sets (21 and 15) pretty slowly, but by the time I got to the last set, I just wanted to get them over with as fast as possible. So after each step-down, I made myself jump again as soon as both feet were on the floor, no time to "set" or think at all. It made a huge difference! Being able to turn off my brain (and my fear) by making that simple rule made it so much easier and less stressful. Is the 24" box next?

This week's installment of Mike Hat Eye Candy Friday:

This has become a workout hat, so it might look familiar. Stripes of leftover acrylic yarns, ribbed brim. Chloey liked it, thought it was delicious. (It has since been washed, yay for easy-care acrylic.)

I bit the bullet and joined Facebook. I'm just a few years older than the generation that is into the social networking ("Generation Y"), so this is a little weird. But it has been really cool to reconnect with people from school that I haven't seen in many years. Making me kind of nostalgic, especially for my Juniata days!

And it's good to know that things are staying interesting in my hometown:

Article: Plane Hits Truck in Forced Landing on Turnpike

Thanks for the link, Joe.

4 comments:

mtbjune said...

Congrats on your breakthrough Amy, that is awesome! Now I'm going to have to work extra hard to keep up with you on the 1-band pullups and the heavier weight :)

Hope your new Zone Diet is going well, I've had some nutrition issues of my own this week...thus the not being at the workouts. Got so fatigued I couldn't get out of bed, ugh!! Think I may be on the road to figuring it out. Don't know about you but for me it's a never ending battle to get it right!

Amy said...

June, that sucks about being sick. I was wondering where you were - thought maybe we were just on different schedules this week. Feel better soon!

JamesD said...

I'm a true believer in the Converse high-tops, Amy. They put your feet flat and close to the floor which is ideal for lifting. They're terrible for running to be sure, but the most I've done at CrossFit is 1,200 meters which I don't think is enough to kill you if you don't have the perfect shoes. I'm careful to avoid landing flat-footed off box jumps, because Converse are not going to protect your arches, and I haven't had any problems.

Margaret said...

I've heard many people like the samba shoes. Of course I just like socks. I think I might be getting the weight lifting shoes for christmas. So then I'll probably need to wear them Of course if I still can't make the snappy sound on the Oly lifts with them it'll go badly for me.